Sign in to follow this  
dennis

International Characters Problem

I'm currently helping a friend with their Romanian genealogy. When I sat down to start entering data I quickly found that I couldn't use some common characters (even copying and pasting from the Character Map didn't work). Is there a way around this? TMG seems able to handle: à, á, &c. fine... but when it comes to: ş, ţ, it replaces the pasted character with the letter followed by a comma (other times it just appears as a question mark). This would be VERY confusing in a print-out, especially with places are separated by commas, i.e., Town, County, State, Country. Is there a work-around for this? Thanks.

Dennis

I'm currently helping a friend with their Romanian genealogy. When I sat down to start entering data I quickly found that I couldn't use some common characters (even copying and pasting from the Character Map didn't work). Is there a way around this? TMG seems able to handle: à, á, &c. fine... but when it comes to: ş, ţ, it replaces the pasted character with the letter followed by a comma (other times it just appears as a question mark). This would be VERY confusing in a print-out, especially with places are separated by commas, i.e., Town, County, State, Country. Is there a work-around for this? Thanks.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

No, it cannot. It can treat only ANSI characters / windows character sets like CP1252 etc. You may have a look on various threads about national characters and Unicode.

Regards

Helmut