How do you insert an image into a chart? This will be an additional image off to one side or at the bottom -- it will not be associated with a specific image. Do I copy it from another application or insert a file?

Thank you.

Linda

Linda -

You use the Insert Image icon - which looks like a picture of a mountain with the moon rising behind it. There is a picture of that icon in Step 3 of the message here. It's pretty straightforward - click on the icon and select an image file to insert on the chart.

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia, the image is in the chart.

Next question -- the image is much too large. it was scanned as an 8 x 10 " , but it's coming in as about 24 wide x 20 high. It's in jpg format and I'd like to display the image as an 8 x 10" in the chart. How can I get the image in at the desired size?

Thank you.

Linda

Thanks, Virginia, the image is in the chart.

Next question -- the image is much too large. it was scanned as an 8 x 10 " , but it's coming in as about 24 wide x 20 high. It's in jpg format and I'd like to display the image as an 8 x 10" in the chart. How can I get the image in at the desired size?

Thank you.

Linda

.Select the image by clicking on it - you will see dots at each corner of the image and at the mid-point of each side.

.Hold down the shift key (to maintain the aspect ratio)

.Grab any corner of the image by holding down the left mouse button

.Move the mouse towards the center of the image until the image is the desired size. Release the shift and mouse.

You may now move the image about and repeat resizing until you get exactly what you want. You may also use the back menu entry to pace the image as background to a portion of your chart.

Good luck,

Examples of imported images used as (partial) background(s) of VCF charts from my website. Images were scanned, imported as per Virginia's instructions, resized and sent to back as chart background and moved to the desired location. These examples combined many of my favorite things, dear friends, genealogy, old portraits, military history and artifacts. It doesn't get much better than that.

The first example shows Gen. Johnson Kelly Duncan, who commanded the defense of New Orleans in 1862.

The second example centers around a portrait by John James Audubon's son, John Woodhouse Audubon.

Note: Images are imported into VCF without regard to the original image's resolution (at 96 dpi in VCF, I think). Therefore, an image scanned at 300 dpi will be a little over 3 times as large after imported into VCF. If an original large image has too much resolution its import may swamp VCF with unpredictable results

Best wishes,

post-1983-1295978330_thumb.jpg

post-1983-1295978378_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike Talbot

Thanks for the instruction and advice. I have a family photo with Mom, Dad & 10 adult children which I'd like to place in a chart along with a descendant box chart which includes the same mom, dad and kids plus their spouses. Grandchildren and spouses would also be nice, but it's a large family.

Mike I always appreciate your examples -- they are truly motivating to take things to the next step. Thanks to all.

Linda