KaBeHe

Visual Chartform crashes

Hi

I'm using TMG 8.04, and a Windows 64-bit computer.

When I try to create a Desendants diagram with Visual Chartform. Visual Chartform crashes just after it has start creating the tree.

I thought that TMG 8 would help on this problem which was know in TMG 7 and 64-bit comouters.

What to do - desperate here, because of Family Gathering in two days!!!!

Kind Regards

Kasper

Kasper -

There has not been a problem that I am aware of with VCF crashing either in v7 or v8 with 64-bit computers. I use both v7 and v8 with a 64-bit computer and have never had a problem with VCF. You may be thinking of the problem with large paper sizes for charts because of a change Microsoft made in Vista and later versions of their operating system.

In the report definition screen, is your chart destination 'View in Visual Chartform' or are you trying to send it somewhere else?

If you will be having the chart printed by a commercial printer, the preferred output for the chart is PDF. See the pinned message 'Print large charts to PDF' at the top of this VCF forum for a link to the instructions for a workaround for setting the large paper size for a wall chart. Please ask if you have any questions or run into a problem.

Virginia

2 ideas that might help -

1) Can you create the Descendants chart using the Sample project? - If so, then it is not likley to be Visual Chartform, but something in your project's data that is causing it.

2) Can you create a Descendants chart on your project but starting with a small numer of generations (say 3)? If that works then increase the number of generations until it fails.

The most likley problem is that you somehow have got a relationship link that makes an ancestor appear as the child of a descendant child. "I am my own grand-pa". Then VCF will keeep going round that loop exhausting the availale memory.

I have not seen your reported crash in the many thousands of VCF charts that I have run.

I am having this problem as well. With some charts, a Windows message comes up, and Visual Chartform crashes. With the sample project, as well as some charts in my project, it is okay.

I suspect that this may be related to something that happens when I try printing a relationship chart for this same part of the tree. Some of the pictures come out okay, but some are huge, which makes the formatting screwy. I tried deleting the exhibit and adding it again, but the same thing happens. The Info pane of Properties shows:

External image file

Full name: c:\Users\Haakon\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\Morris Shurgin (Jake Shurgin Family detail).jpg

341,464 bytes, 22 Mar 2012 22:54:12

Format 574x722x24

Exif file containing a JPEG compressed image and YUV 4:2:2 color space.

Exist thumbnail

C:\Users\Haakon\AppData\Local\Temp\TMG75205843\Th000459.jpg

28,833 bytes, Format JPEG 150x188

I looked at one of the pictures that comes out fine, and it says,

External image file

Full name: C:\Users\Haakon\Documents\The Master Genealogist v8\Exhibits\Bessie and Dorothy Levin Aug 1909(detail from Levin Family, Ekaterinoslav).jpg

5,279,255 bytes, 24 Jul 2011 11:39:34

Format 1775x2511x24

Exif file containing a JPEG compressed image and YUV 4:2:2 color space.

Exist thumbnail

C:\Users\Haakon\AppData\Local\Temp\TMG75205843\Th000211.jpg

44,799 bytes, Format JPEG 150x212

So this picture is significantly larger than the other one, although I would guess they use the thumbnail.

I also have a 64-bit operating system. It is nice that finally I can make reports again. But it is frustrating that the first few ones I tried all crashed.

This is most likely an incompatibility between VCF and certain images in the chart in Windows 7.

I presume that your chart works as expected if you don't request images?

You will need to isolate the problem by creating a series of ONE GENERATION descendant charts (with image), where the focus person is one whose picture you suspect as creating the problem. Each chart will only show the focus person. Once you have found a case that consistently crashes VCF then you will need to send a project that just contains that person to Wholly Genes support. You can export just that person to a new much smaller project. You will also need to send the offending image. This problem is not something that can resolved without a test case that can be sent to the developers.

RobinL