Pierce.Reid

Converting UFT Index entries

I have used Roots IV/UFT for many years. In my Individual Text and Event Text fields, I include an Index entry whenever I mention someone else from my database. This allows me to generate an index of all references to an individual when I produce a word processing Family Journal report. Index entries in UFT just contain the individual's number and UFT gets the name from the database. (You therefore cannot create index entries with married or other names that an individual was known by, the way you can in TMG.)

I need birth/death dates to be part of the index entries, since I have a number of names that are used repeatedly through the generations. In UFT, I can request that these dates be added to the names so that I can distinguish between these individuals. Instead of getting just one entry for "John Smith" (with the page locations of all the John Smiths mixed together), I will get separate entires in the index for each individual named John Smith (unless two had the same or no birth/death dates).

When converting to TMG via Genbridge, I would like to be able to have the index entries in the tag Memos built with the birth/death dates added to the name entries. However, I have not been able to find a way to request this. As a result, instead of the (birth,death) dates added to the names, I just get "(@)". That suggests that I will have to edit the thousands of index entries once I get them converted to TMG.

Is that the horrible reality of converting UFT index entries to TMG?