hrfrantz

DNA Information Tags

As we gather DNA information, TMG needs formatted locations for DNA data (tags?). A style similar to FamilyTreeDNA or National Geographic results would be an excellent start. Minimally both yDNA and mtDNA data should be supported. Organizing the info in a text box is a challenge and not very reportable.

Any suggestions? Am I missing an existing function? Will TMG add tags to support DNA/genealogical research?

Regards, hrf3

As we gather DNA information, TMG needs formatted locations for DNA data (tags?).  A style similar to FamilyTreeDNA or National Geographic results would be an excellent start.  Minimally both yDNA and mtDNA data should be supported.  Organizing the info in a text box is a challenge and not very reportable.

Any suggestions?  Am I missing an existing function?  Will TMG add tags to support DNA/genealogical research?

Regards, hrf3

Have you looked at TMG DNA Log? Click on button on the right of the Camera on the Button Bar, looks like a double helix....

Have you looked at TMG DNA Log? Click on button on the right of the Camera on the Button Bar, looks like a double helix....

Once in the DNA log screen, if at 800x600 resolution, click "maximize" in upper right corner to see button selections at bottom of screen. Otherwise it looks like a big plain text memo box.

Hi Paul! The RUG EC asked me to look into the DNA business relative to TMG so I'm beginning to look down into the barrel. After following your lead to the DNA log I tried the "More information about this test" bar and received nothing but the good ol' internet "not found" response.

I gather you're into the use of DNA fingerprints so perhaps you can shed some light on what seems to me to be missing web sites. Also, could you confirm for me that TMG offers no additional facilities for DNA work other than simply having a place to record the DNA of individuals; there's no "matching" capability - true? I looked around briefly and didn't find the DNA fingergprint information as a possible output of any report - perhaps there is one; if so please point me in the right direction.

Dick

Hi Paul!  The RUG EC asked me to look into the DNA business relative to TMG so I'm beginning to look down into the barrel.  After following your lead to the DNA log I tried the "More information about this test" bar and received nothing but the good ol' internet "not found" response. 

I gather you're into the use of DNA fingerprints so perhaps you can shed some light on what seems to me to be missing web sites. Also, could you confirm for me that TMG offers no additional facilities for DNA work other than simply having a place to record the DNA of individuals; there's no "matching" capability - true? I looked around briefly and didn't find the DNA fingergprint information as a possible output of any report - perhaps there is one; if so please point me in the right direction.

Dick

What was your selection when you got the no information? I just checked all and they all take me to a site.

All TMG does now is allow a place to record the DNA results. There is no reporting or matching capability.

I had a 25 marker test done about two years ago to verify that I had myself in the right Lawrence line as one of my connections was based on circumstantial evidence since many records had been destroyed here in the south. I matched on all 25 markers with another researcher who's lineage is more thoroughly documented and it proved I had myself in the right lawrence family...the branch could still be wrong but it does give credance to my circumstantial evidence.

Hi Paul!  The RUG EC asked me to look into the DNA business relative to TMG so I'm beginning to look down into the barrel.  After following your lead to the DNA log I tried the "More information about this test" bar and received nothing but the good ol' internet "not found" response. 

Dick

Go to Preferences > Program Options > Other > 'Send URLs to the browser with backslashes' and see if checking that gets you to the site.

Virginia

Go to Preferences > Program Options > Other > 'Send URLs to the browser with backslashes' and see if checking that gets you to the site.

Virginia

I did have it checked. BUT unchecking it did the trick.

Thanks for pointing out the option, Virginia. And thanks for the info, Paul.

Dick