Guest deliarobertson

Bizarre Exhibit Behaviour

Guest deliarobertson

I am having a problem with my project that includes 100s exhibits. I am trying to get a list of every individual with an exhibit - either attached to the individual or event.

I tried a LoP report with the condition #Exhibits > 0.

I also created an accent condition with #Exhibits >= 1.

I also created a List of Events with the condition Number of Exhibits >0.

The LoP only lists exhibits attached recently - apparently only those added after February 2004. Any exhibits attached earlier than that need to be deleted and then reattached before they will appear in the LoP.

The same holds true for the accent condition.

The List of Events will only include an exhibit if I delete *all* the exhibits for an event, reattach each, *and then* delete and rewrite the condition.

I am going quietly crazy with this one! :wacko: Can anyone suggest why this might be happening and suggest a quicker solution than finding every exhibit and going through the process of deleting and reattaching them?

Any help greatly appreciated!

I am having a problem with my project that includes 100s exhibits.  I am trying to get a list of every individual with an exhibit - either attached to the individual or event.

I tried a LoP report with the condition #Exhibits > 0.

I also created an accent condition with #Exhibits >= 1.

I also created a List of Events with the condition Number of Exhibits >0.

The LoP only lists exhibits attached recently - apparently only those added after February 2004.  Any exhibits attached earlier than that need to be deleted and then reattached before they will appear in the LoP.

The same holds true for the accent condition.

The List of Events will only include an exhibit if I delete *all* the exhibits for an event, reattach each, *and then* delete and rewrite the condition.

I am going quietly crazy with this one! :wacko:  Can anyone suggest why this might be happening and suggest a quicker solution than finding every exhibit and going through the process of deleting and reattaching them?

Any help greatly appreciated!

An LOP filter or filtering the PE for # Exhibits > 0 will only get you those individuals that have Exhibits attached to the individual, will not get those individuals that have Exhibits attached to Events only with none attached to the individual. You need a filter as follows

# Exhibits > 0 OR

Any Event # Exhibits > 0 END

Guest deliarobertson
An LOP filter or filtering the PE for # Exhibits > 0 will only get you those individuals that have Exhibits attached to the individual, will not get those individuals that have Exhibits attached to Events only with none attached to the individual. You need a filter as follows

# Exhibits                                  >          0          OR

Any Event          # Exhibits        >          0          END

Thanks Paul,

I was not trying to get event exhibits in the LoP report - for that I was using the List of Events report. My problem is that my reports are only including events attached fairly recently, i.e. anything attached from about February 2004.

(I know it is February 2004 because my brother died in that month, and I attached pictures from his wake and also the funeral order of service and these exhibits plus anything I attached subsequently appear in my reports.)

Any attached prior to that do not appear in reports . . . in fact the problem goes so far as to exclude the exhibits being sent to my Palm via GedStarPro, and also to PathWiz.

It seems that TMG on one level recognizes I have the correct number of exhibits, i.e. over 200 - but when it comes to any type of output it only recognizes exhibits attached since about February 2004.

For example, PathWiz tells me I have 216 exhibits . . . but includes less than one quarter of that number in the catalogue. Each time I delete an image and then re-attach it, the number PathWiz reports in the catalogue goes up by one. The same applies in the output to GedStarPro and in the LoP and LoE reports I have created with filters for number of exhibits. The same thing happens in all the other reports I have tried, i.e. Individual Narratives, Journals, etc. Only exhibits attached after about February 2004 are sent to the report.

It sounds like there could be two different exhibit paths, before and after Feb 2004 - as if, in your fix for the problem, you are accessing an exhibit from an old path, deleting it there, and resaving it to a new path - from whence it appears correctly in reports.

What exhibit path is set in Preferences > Current Projects > Advanced? Have you tried running the external exhibit feature under File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity to update the paths for all exhibits?

Virginia

Guest deliarobertson
It sounds like there could be two different exhibit paths, before and after Feb 2004 - as if, in your fix for the problem, you are accessing an exhibit from an old path, deleting it there, and resaving it to a new path - from whence it appears correctly in reports.

What exhibit path is set in Preferences > Current Projects > Advanced?  Have you tried running the external exhibit feature under File / Maintenance / Validate File Integrity to update the paths for all exhibits?

Virginia

Virgina,

Yes, I also thought of the two exhibit paths - but in fact, without exception, the exhibit paths all point to the one folder I use for exhibits and which is properly set up under Advanced. I have also run VFI.

I have being trying to figure out what I might have done around that time that changed my project in a major way and all I can think of is that I switched to the UK edition after it was released in July 2004.

Anyway, in testing my exhibits to see where I might have gone wrong, or for paths, I am now more than half way through reattaching them all and so I will just complete the process.

In any case, for a variety of reasons, I have in the past kept most of my exhibits, text files, pictures, etc. out of TMG - and just included a reference. But am now embarking on a project to include them - and they run into thousands - so fixing those I already have is a minor effort in comparison. Wish me luck. :)

Thanks for your interest.

The LoP only lists exhibits attached recently - apparently only those added after February 2004.  Any exhibits attached earlier than that need to be deleted and then reattached before they will appear in the LoP.

Are you sure that the timeframe is February 2004, and not 2005 after TMG 6 was released?

Guest deliarobertson
Are you sure that the timeframe is February 2004, and not 2005 after TMG 6 was released?

Thanks John,

Honestly, I am not 100% sure as the exhibits that showed up in reports for which I have some sort of timeframe, were those connected with my brother's death in February 2004. But until now, I have not routinely attached exhibits in TMG, and its entirely possible I only attached those in 2005.

Have you come across this problem before?