myfamily

Creating a descendant family tree with only exhibits (photos)

Hi,

I would like to create a descendant family tree for my Mother using only photos and no writing at all. I will be creating a text version with all the birth, death, marriage dates as well. I do not want to combine the two as I feel it will be too big and messy. I am fine with the text version but I need some help creating the photo version.

The one with the photos I plan on having the families in small family groups e.g married couples together, couples with young children. Grown up children will be in their own photo with their young children. Basically I will have four generations.

I have added the photos as exhibits to the necessary people and they all appear in the correct place when I use the Descendant Box Chart report. I then delete all the text out of each box so I am left only with the photo. I then edit my connecting lines to make it all look pretty, but I am finding this is very time consuming and very fiddly as there is a lot of changes.

What I was wondering, was if anyone else has made a chart with photos only and if they can let me know what method they used. I have thought about using Powerpoint or Word and creating an organisation chart but I am open to ideas.

I am happy to use the method I am currently using, but I have mentioned what I am doing to family members and they would like me to create a similar chart but with other ancestors and I was after a quicker method if I am going to be doing this a few times.

Thanks in advance

Helen

Hi,

I would like to create a descendant family tree for my Mother using only photos and no writing at all.  I will be creating a text version with all the birth, death, marriage dates as well.  I do not want to combine the two as I feel it will be too big and messy.  I am fine with the text version but I need some help creating the photo version.

The one with the photos I plan on having the families in small family groups e.g married couples together, couples with young children.  Grown up children will be in their own photo with their young children.  Basically I will have four generations. 

I have added the photos as exhibits to the necessary people and they all appear in the correct place when I use the Descendant Box Chart report.  I then delete all the text out of each box so I am left only with the photo.  I then edit my connecting lines to make it all look pretty, but I am finding this is very time consuming and very fiddly as there is a lot of changes.

What I was wondering, was if anyone else has made a chart with photos only and if they can let me know what method they used.  I have thought about using Powerpoint or Word and creating an organisation chart but I am open to ideas.

I am happy to use the method I am currently using, but I have mentioned what I am doing to family members and they would like me to create a similar chart but with other ancestors and I was after a quicker method if I am going to be doing this a few times.

Thanks in advance

Helen

No, I would not make such a chart. But I have added many images to VCF Ancestor and Descendant Box Charts, added captions, and everything else that's needed to do so.

I assume that you are happy with the text only layout in your descendant box chart.

You have two choices to create a picture only chart, both require manually pasteing the pictures on top of a copy of your text Descendant Box Chart.

1. You can use VCF, but it doesn't successfully support drag & drop images. You have to click on the strange little icon up-top that looks like a "moon coming over mountains" to import each image. Move the image atop the desired box and size it to taste.

2. If you have a favorite drawing program, like Corel Draw:

a. use VCF to export your box chart to JPG. Be sure the spacing between

boxes is the way you want it before exporting.

b. Import the JPG chart into your favorite drawing program.

c. Drag & drop each image from Explorer windows to your drawing, move each

over the desired box, size it to taste.

Whichever way you go, save your intermediate work often. You don't want a glitch to wipe out all of your hard work.

In either method you can add captions. Also in either case use the align images features to keep your pictures in straight lines.

Good luck,

Mike Talbot

Hi,

I would like to create a descendant family tree for my Mother using only photos and no writing at all.  . .  . .

I have added the photos as exhibits to the necessary people and they all appear in the correct place when I use the Descendant Box Chart report.  I then delete all the text out of each box so I am left only with the photo.  I then edit my connecting lines to make it all look pretty, but . . . . . .

Helen

This won't quite do what you want, but it should be quick.

Change the color of the font from black to white. . . <g>

John M.

This won't quite do what you want, but it should be quick.

Change the color of the font from black to white. . . <g>

John M.

Very, very clever. I will keep this in my bag of VCF tricks.

In this case though, you are left with a big box containing a tiny picture in a corner of it. The text still takes up space which is at a premium, here.

Thanks,

Mike Talbot

Very, very clever.  I will keep this in my bag of VCF tricks.

In this case though, you are left with a big box containing a tiny picture in a corner of it.  The text still takes up space which is at a premium, here.

Thanks,

Mike Talbot

Mike-

Best case (by design) is for picture to consume half the box size. In order to accomplish that, it is necessary to delete all fields except Name field. Choosing smaller text for Name and playing with wraparound might be necessary for extremely long names.

John M.

I haven't tried this on a large scale, but see the screenshot below. This was with:

exhibits on left

box shadow off

box lines transparent

box color white or transparent

text white (or just highlight the text in the box and delete it)

More - I see there will be a problem with rightside box connectors. Try this: leave the box lines in so you can see them, delete the text, drag the box so it is flush with the side of the exhibit, then make the box lines transparent - or maybe just leave them in.

Virginia

image.jpg

Virginia, John and Mike

Thank you very much for your help. Virginia that looks just how I would like it to look. I will give it a try and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks once again

Helen