TomWilliams

Project Files Gone

Yesterday, March 25th, I upgraded from TMG Gold 6.07 to TMG Gold 6.08. The upgrade seemed to have occurred with no problem. This was all done on a new computer I have been using for a few months.

Immediately after this upgrade, however, I tried to open a project. I had about 6 active projects at the time of yesterday’s upgrade. The PROJECTS folder was blank, except for one .pjc file for the sample project. I assume this was put there during the upgrade.

I have sent two emails about this problem to Dorothy Turner, with Wholly Genes support, and she answered the first one. I guess her work day ended before she could get to the other one. I am a little anxious, however, to see if there is any way I can get out of this mess, so I don’t want to wait until Monday for another reply from her unless I have to. (She has been very helpful and I don’t mean to criticize her in any way.)

After waiting and thinking for several hours, I remembered my old computer, which I haven’t used in a while. I cranked it up and checked the TMG 5 Project folder, where I see that the project files created by TMG 5 seem to be still residing there. For these six projects there is about 7mb of data and well over a hundred separate files with various extensions.

My questions are:

1. Since my search of all hard drives on my new computer (where TMG 6.08 is installed) shows no .pjc or other project files, is all hope lost for finding these files on the new computer?

2. If there is no hope for finding the project files on the new computer, can I load the TMG 5 project files from my old computer on to a CD/R-W and move them to the TMG 6.08 PROJECTS folder on the new computer and just pick up from there?

3. If number 2 above is not feasible, is there any other solution that anyone here can suggest?

Thanks. Tom Williams.

How are you searching the hard drives for your projects, for example searching for *.pjc?

Is it possible that Windows Explorer is not showing all files when you are searching? I use another file manager, but aren't there options in Explorer to show files of certain types?

Have you checked your Recycle Bin?

What is the path for the tmg installation on your computer?

In your 6.08 install, what is set in Preferences for the location of your projects?

Virginia

Virginia: Thanks for the response.

1. In my search for project files, I am using Windows Explorer. I am using *.pjc and *.sqz and am also searching for the first few letters of my project title, e. g., trwjr*.*

2. As to whether Windows Explorer is showing all files when I am searching, I believe that it is. I don’t have another file manager, as far as I know. I remember that I am checking for all files, including hidden files, if that is what you are referencing by your question. I’m not very technically proficient with the computer, so I may be missing the point here.

3. My Recycle Bin is empty. I keep it that way most of the time.

4. Path for tmg installation: c:\ProgramFiles\TMG6\

5. In the 6.08 install, I have no idea what is set in Preferences for the location of projects. When I open TMG6, it shows me a “Welcome” screen. These buttons are there: Last, Sample, Select, Restore, Import, New, and Exit. I don’t see anything there that says anything like, “Check here to see your preferences.” If you could tell me how to check these preference settings, I would like to do it.

Thanks, again, and I look forward to any suggestions.

Tom.

You can find Preferences on most rightclick menus - like in the Details view; it is also on the File menu. In Preferences, go to: Options > Program Options > General. Look on the righthand side, second field from the bottom is 'Default Project Path'. That is where File > Open would be looking for the project files.

If Windows Explorer is set to show hidden files, that should find the .pjc files.

I can't recall hearing of projects being lost like this - and I hope you will find them somewhere. In the future, to be on the cautious side, you may want to consider keeping your projects outside of the TMG folder; I have mine in a Projects folder off the C:\ drive.

I don't know whether Windows Restore (taking your computer back to an earlier date) would restore the project folder; tech support could advise you about that.

Virginia