Pierce.Reid

Backup of External Exhibits

Teresa commented on another thread:

<<I prefer my exhibits to be external, because I use Second Site for my output and it only uses external, plus I have about 5 GB of pictures, most attached to TMG, and I wouldn't want to back those up each time I back up TMG, usually several times a day on a big data entry day. When you link them, they will stay external. And you will need to back them up separately.>>

Is there a way to automatically include a folder full of external exhibits into your backups?

While there is probably not a need to back up all your exhibits (which may take up a lot of space) every time you back up the basic TMG data, there should be a way to include the exhibit folders in the backup *.sqz file.

You should be able to specify to TMG one or more folders containing your exhibit files. Then when you do a backup, you should have the option to include or not include these folders in the backup file. If you pass the backup to someone else, or move it to a new computer, restoring the backup will ensure that the appropriate directories are created and the exhibit links all still work.

Of course, for optimal performance, these folders should mainly contain TMG exhibits, although you could also use them to hold other files that you want to back up with your TMG data.

Pierce

Guest PhilDee
Teresa commented on another thread:

>

Is there a way to automatically include a folder full of external exhibits into your backups?

While there is probably not a need to back up all your exhibits (which may take up a lot of space) every time you back up the basic TMG data, there should be a way to include the exhibit folders in the backup *.sqz file.

You should be able to specify to TMG one or more folders containing your exhibit files. Then when you do a backup, you should have the option to include or not include these folders in the backup file. If you pass the backup to someone else, or move it to a new computer, restoring the backup will ensure that the appropriate directories are created and the exhibit links all still work.

Of course, for optimal performance, these folders should mainly contain TMG exhibits, although you could also use them to hold other files that you want to back up with your TMG data.

Pierce

When you backup TMG there is a option check box in Step 3 to include external exhibits in your backup. If that box is checked then the exhibit itself is included in the backup along with the full path to that particular exhibit. When you restore your project that path is read and the image placed in that location.

Phil

Wholly Genes Tech Support