Guest Michael Dietz

Invalid Individual

Guest Michael Dietz

I am currently working with a family tree from the Internet. There is a related albeit distant family where the parents were born around 1710 but they have a son listed as being born in 1694. I can think of no typographic error which would have not placed the son within the list of children. To change the year would require two digits being changed, the 6 to a 7 and the 9 to a 3 or 4.

Apparently this son is with the wrong family and probably in the wrong generation. None of his uncles were born early enough to be his father. He could be a brother of the father. He could belong with one of the three brothers of the grandfather and so I have no idea where the son should go.

Should I just drop him? Or should I place him in the grandfather and three granduncle familys with appropriate comments even though any one of these relationships might also be invalid?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

If it is from the internet and doesn't show a *very specific* source for this individual I'd just drop it with a note somewhere (probably the parents marriage tag)that other researchers mention a son born before the parents and let them draw their own conclusions.

I am currently working with a family tree from the Internet. There is a related albeit distant family where the parents were born around 1710 but they have a son listed as being born in 1694. I can think of no typographic error which would have not placed the son within the list of children. To change the year would require two digits being changed, the 6 to a 7 and the 9 to a 3 or 4.

Apparently this son is with the wrong family and probably in the wrong generation. None of his uncles were born early enough to be his father. He could be a brother of the father. He could belong with one of the three brothers of the grandfather and so I have no idea where the son should go.

Should I just drop him? Or should I place him in the grandfather and three granduncle familys with appropriate comments even though any one of these relationships might also be invalid?

Thanks for any advice.

Mike

If it is from the internet and doesn't show a *very specific* source for this individual I'd just drop it with a note somewhere (probably the parents marriage tag)that other researchers mention a son born before the parents and let them draw their own conclusions.

Another option is to enter the person as an unrelated male making a memo that explains where you found it and why you don't believe this person could be a son of the couple indicated and hopefully, you'll find where he really belongs as you do more research.

8-)

Joan

Thanks for any advice.

Mike