Daryl Edmonds

Which Surname?

I have a female, lets call her Ruth. On her birth records she is listed as; Ruth Drury, mother Elsie Drury, father unrecorded. There is a cross reference to a Ruth Parker, mother Elsie Drury, father unrecorded. Eighteen months later Elsie married Henry Dansie and from then on Ruth is known as Ruth Dansie.

My quandry is, what surname do I enter her under. Currently I have her as Ruth Drury with a Name-var Ruth Parker as they were the names I got from the birth record. But, apparently, it's one of those "skeletons" that some families don't like to talk about and I'm told , in no uncertain terms, that "she was a Dansie". How can I placate her rellies and still keep the records as an honest portrayal of events?

Daryl.

Guest Michael Dietz
I have a female, lets call her Ruth. On her birth records she is listed as; Ruth Drury, mother Elsie Drury, father unrecorded. There is a cross reference to a Ruth Parker, mother Elsie Drury, father unrecorded. Eighteen months later Elsie married Henry Dansie and from then on Ruth is known as Ruth Dansie.

My quandry is, what surname do I enter her under. Currently I have her as Ruth Drury with a Name-var Ruth Parker as they were the names I got from the birth record. But, apparently, it's one of those "skeletons" that some families don't like to talk about and I'm told , in no uncertain terms, that "she was a Dansie". How can I placate her rellies and still keep the records as an honest portrayal of events?

Daryl.

Daryl

We all have such situations in our database. One of the wife's has nothing to do with any skeleton but illustrates how I am handling it. Her maternal grandfather went throughout his life as Frank S(amuel) Graham, all 90 years of it. I have recently obtained his birth certificate. It has him listed as Samuel Frank Graham. Apparantly Frank did not like the name Samuel and so just reversed them.

I have him listed with a primary name of Frank Samuel because that is what he used, personally and legally. I do have the Samuel Frank as a Name-var. I use a custom Name-var which allows a memo to be printed. In the memo I explain my reasoning for not using the name he was given. I also have the birth certificate as a source for that tag.

Hope this helps.

Mike

My answer woud be...

"Indeed she was- AFTER her mother married one; but the fact is she wasn't born one she wasn't born one.""

Noiw granted- this may well upset a few people but I see nothing wrong with pulling an ostrich's head out of the sand on occasion!