Mike Talbot

Back up TMG files to a flash drive problem

Can't copy all of my TMG exhibit Files to a flash drive. Problem is associated with long file names.

Environment:

3.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4

500 MB main memory

250 GB hard disk (180 GB spare)

2 GB Toshiba USB2 Flash Drive

TMG exhibits files total size, 0.65 GB

MS Windows XP home (up to date)

Well, I finally broke down and bought a flash drive. Every one of many tests that I ran, worked perfectly. Then the real world happened. The purpose for which the flash drive was purchased was to back up my TMG exhibit files from a single hard drive folder.

Procedure- Using Windows Explorer window> select all from source HD folder window> drag and drop to destination flash drive root folder window.

The copy started working fine until it got to the 179th file, the copy stopped with the following message -

Error copying file or folder

Cannot copy insertAnyLongFileName: The directory or file cannot be created.

This message terminates the copy, with no retry option. The 178 files copied to the flash drive are perfect, most have long file names. If I try to add another file with a name longer than 10 characters, the same error message appears and no copy is performed.

Adding more files with short file names works perfectly.

Shortening my file names is not an option. I have about 10,000 TMG exhibit files (total size 650 megs), most with long names. All are JPG (with a few BMP) format files plus two SQZ files. The two SQZ files (about 180 megs, each), with long names, copied fine. I can add more SQZ files if I shorten the name, the standard long file name SQZ files fail to copy with the same error message.

I have used this same drag and drop method, successfully, on the same 10,000 files before.

1. Copy from a CD or DVD to a hard drive folder.

2. Copy the same files from one hard drive folder to another.

The problem has been confined to copying to a flash drive. It has had nothing to do with the number of files copied or their size, but only the number with file names longer than 10. Are we back to DOS similar restrictions with flash drives?

Can anyone help? Is there a work around or different copy procedure to try?

Thanks,

Mike Talbot

Edited by Mike Talbot

Make sure you are putting them into a subdirectory on the flash drive and not the "root" of the drive. The root directory is somewhat limited in the number of entries it can store in some file systems.

Make sure you are putting them into a subdirectory on the flash drive and not the "root" of the drive. The root directory is somewhat limited in the number of entries it can store in some file systems.

Thanks for your quick and accurate reply. The copy worked perfectly to a subdirectory of the flash drive root.

Live and learn,

Mike Talbot

I am a new user of v6. I can't seem to get my project to back up to a disc. I feel I am missing something obvious... but after repeatedly going over the 'help' instructions continue to come to a standstill. Please explain the process to a person who obviously isn't very computer savvy.

When I get to step 4 the option boxes , including 'span disc', are not highlighted and will not let me select 'span disc' .....

Please help????????

Assuming that you mean a CD (compact disk) rather than a floppy disk - in most cases you cannot back up your project directly to a CD. You want to first make a backup to your hard drive and then burn that backup file (.sqz file) to your CD.

At Step 2 in the Backup Wizard, in the field where it says "Select backup file:", select a folder on your C:\ drive, or simply back up to C:\. After your backup is complete, locate that backup file on your C:\ drive and use your CD burning software to burn it to your CD.

You can ignore the options in Step 4, including the 'span disks' option. That can refer to older backup media - like floppy disks.

If you have any more questions, or run into a problem - let us know.

Virginia