retsof

V6 -> V7 lost custom colors and memo file

I backed up a V6 project with everything I could think of that was relevant. The custom windows colors I made went away, and the preference color box only has the standard color boxes in it.

It's not the end of the world, because V6 still exists. I can look at each custom color with a color picker to tell me the hex code, and go from there. These are mostly pastels used as different backgrounds, to differentiate any projects that may be up at the same time. They are also useful to change the background now and then, just to keep sharp when I am getting tired.

However, I did not select the color names in an .XLS file. Were they in there?

Upon restore, some kind of memo field did not regenerate. I asked it to retry several times without effect, so had to abort that part. It continued without obvious problem.

It then went into repair mode.

Those are the only glitches that I have encountered so far on my first day of the new release.

Upon restart in standard mode, the error is still there.

DID I LOSE MY ENTIRE MEMO FILE???

I don't think that I will discard my V6 file just yet. I'm continuing regular work in V6 for now. :o

Here's what the screen says. Since it is so many directory levels deep, it must be part of that "Microsoft solution" you were talking about for the project dataset. :blink:

c:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\projectname_G.FPT is missing or is invalid. 66 FIX_52

(I changed the specific projectname to "projectname" to protect the innocent.)

Edited by retsof