Guest Michael Dietz

Problem with Project Explorer

Guest Michael Dietz

Let me describe what I am trying to do in order to illustrate the problem.

I have a custom flag, Relationship, where I have such things as D for direct relationships, A for Aunts/Uncles, S for Siblings, etc. I had C for cousins and decided to break that down into 1, 2, and 3 for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd or greater cousins. I use the Project Explorer, filtering on the Relationship flag = C to locate the cousins. I have linked the PE to other windows. I change the first individual in the list from C to whatever, click the next icon, and then change the second individual, etc., etc.

As I advance through the list blank lines start to appear in the list scrolling up from the bottom. If I reach one of these blank lines I get a blank person detail screen. If I refresh the filter, those individuals I have changed are dropped from the list and the list appears correct again. Where the blank line(s) was/were in the previous list will be individuals who were not in the previous list.

As long as I keep refreshing the filter everything seems to be OK but it is a nuisance to have to do so.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike

Guest Michael Dietz

The problem gets even more weird if there are fewer names in the list than needed to fill the Project Explorer box. Suppose there is room for 15 names to be displayed but only 12 are listed. I change the first individual (the one at the top of the list) and click the next icon. The last individual in the list (the one at the bottom) gets the focus. I change it and click the previous icon. The focus goes to the third from the bottom, not the second. I stopped experimenting at that point and just started manually clicking on the individual names.

Again thank you

Mike

Have you tried using the Focus Group (FG) instead of the Project Explorer? This is the kind of task for which the FG really shines - and avoids the ongoing refiltering and shuffling of the linked Project Explorer. Filter the Project Explorer, add those names - using the rclick menu - to the Focus Group, unlink the PE, and work your way through the list in the FG, deleting the names as you go.

Virginia

Virginia

Guest Michael Dietz

Thanks for the tip Virginia. This just shows that TMG is so versatile there is more than one way to clothe and ancestor.

My main purpose in posting the message was to let Bob and company know about a potential problem. But I will try your suggestion to see which does work better for me.

Again thank you.

Mike

I do like the focus group -- for ancestors and descendants.

One other wrinkle -- TMG7 has enhanced its auto relationship calculation from what was done in TMG6. It does slow things down a bit, but you can ask for a full file refresh in preferences, check results and set your flags to match, and then turn it off again in preferences for maximum speed.

Edited by retsof