Zooming in -- Connecting points, lines, ports

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 drla06

drla06
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

Inspired by Virginia's video on connecting points, lines and ports I did a lot of experimenting in VCF the last several days. Zooming the display up to 800% (% may vary by computer setup?) was very revealing. I could see the 4 ports that make up the connecting point and try connecting to each of the 4 points. [See Robin's reply to Virginia's post.] While I still can't predict exactly what's going to happen, the zoomed-in display makes it easier to try different ports to attempt to improve connecting lines behavior. As in most software, VCF offers more than one way to accomplish a goal, i.e., delete a pesky, green line and replace it with a new line. Please pardon the repeated attempts to make the chart changes, but that's typical of my VCF editing <grin>.

You can find the video here

Below is the "script" that explains what I was trying to show in the video.
[Note: I am abbreviating connecting as "con"]

• View > ports
  • Notice the con-point. If you have a larger chart, notice the location of the con-point related to the vertical and horizontal rulers.
  • View > zoom custom > 800%
  • Notice the ports on the boxes and the cluster of 4 ports that make up the con-point.
  • As each con-line is selected, notice the square gray box at each end of the line and at the angle where the line changes direction.
  • Each con-line is detached from the con-point, with varying degrees of difficulty. The green con-line would not respond so I deleted it.
  • Re-attach each con-line. Replaced green con-line with a new line. Changed color of new line to blue to make it easy to see square gray boxes on line.
  • Showed the overlapping lines by bringing either the blue or the yellow line to the front.
  • Using the bottom port of the con-point is not always the answer to making the con-lines behave, but it probably works for me more than 50% of the time. <so far!>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users