Sign in to follow this  
Rootdigger

Witnesses who move away AND BACK

Does anyone know of an efficient and effective way to record each individual's RESIDENCE throughout their lifetime while still maintaining current ADDRESSES in TMG?

I know you can list children as WITNESSES in these tags, but as each child moves out, how can you maintain a record that they were there at that time, but are not there now? Creating individual residences for each individual seems redundant. It also becomes much more convoluted the larger the family is. :wacko:Take the example below:

Susie is born in 1960

John in 1962

Frank in 1964

Mary in 1966

Paul in 1968

In 1971 all five children move with their parents to a new home.

John moves out in 1980.

Susie moves out in 1981.

Frank moves out in 1983.

Mary moves out in 1985.

JOHN moves BACK IN in 1986.

Paul moves out in 1988.

With constantly changing "WITNESSES", Mr. & Mrs. would have amassed a large number of RESIDENCE or ADDRESS tags since 1971 even though they had never moved. Also, prior to 1971, would they have had 6 additional residence tags for before-children through the birth (addition) of each child?

My understanding was that the ADDRESS tag can be used to create current mailing lists and that TMG recommends using the date field within it to note when that address was last confirmed/updated.

Is there a way to "have it all"? Tracking who was where with whom when AND having a current mailing list with all individuals within a household? Even with custom entries? Or do I need to just view the RESIDENCE tag as a snapshot in time rather than perceive it as an ongoing thing such as an occupation or religion?

In other words, is it all in the way I look at it? :upsidedown: Any suggestions? Successes? (Or even things that absolutely will not work?)

Thanks, everyone, for struggling through this. I really hope someone can help.

-Rootdigger :rolleyes:

Does anyone know of an efficient and effective way to record each individual's RESIDENCE throughout their lifetime while still maintaining current ADDRESSES in TMG? ...... My understanding was that the ADDRESS tag can be used to create current mailing lists and that TMG recommends using the date field within it to note when that address was last confirmed/updated. Is there a way to "have it all"? Tracking who was where with whom when AND having a current mailing list with all individuals within a household? Even with custom entries?
Hi Rootdigger,

I have found that you can do most anything if you are willing to customize TMG and "think upside down" :upsidedown: There are probably a large variety of ways, but I will suggest one. I would leave the ADDRESS tag to be used as suggested in the TMG help files, but have a separate tag for each person with a Location that showed their residence with a date range. If you wanted to track who was where even more, I would create a pseudo "person" for the house/address. I probably would not do this for all people, but for some families/houses/locations this can be valuable. The separate tag for each person could be the RESIDENCE tag, or could be a custom tag. I would set P1 as the "real" person and the house "person" as either P2 or maybe a custom Witness role, with the "From-to" date on this tag. Viewing the house "person" you would be able to see who lived there when, and viewing the "real" person you would have where they resided throughout their life.

Hope this gives you ideas,