rjpark

Adding Exhibits

I have several documents that are in pdf format. Is there any way to add them as exhibits in TMG?

Aparently TMG does not recognize the pdf format. :(

You can add them as external exhibits but the pdf files will not be output in TMG reports since the file is not a text file. To add a pdf file:

In the Exhibit Log, right-click and select Insert new text / External file.

On the Insert new exhibit screen, change the filetype from 'All Texts (*.rtf, *.txt)' to 'All files (*.*)' and browse to the PDF file; select the file, click [Open] and the file will be linked and show in the Exhibit Log. The file can be viewed from the Exhibit Log (opened by Adobe Acrobat Reader).

Virginia

I agree with RJPARK... I consider PDF files to be an image, sometimes it contains text, but often it is an image. I wish the PDF files would be treated as if they were either format, and included in reports, etc!

Edited by TexasPhil

With Acrobat Standard version, you can save your pdf files as a jpg or any number of different file formats. I don't know if Reader allows you to do this or not. It would be nice to be able to add pdf files even if TMG converted it to an image.

Edited by Paul M

To add a pdf file:

In the Exhibit Log, right-click and select Insert new text / External file.

This is out of date for v7.

In the Exhibit Log,

Either click the [Add] button on the toolbar or right-click and select 'Insert new exhibit (other).

Select the PDF file.

%%%%%%%%%%

PDF files are documents which can contain text and images... and are treated just like all other documents which require proprietary software to view or edit. A PDF file containing only an image is no more an image file than a Word Document containing only an image. Both are documents that contain an image. For this reason, they can't be output in TMG reports which process only text.

PDF files linked as exhibits can be used in the websites created using Second Site.

Then it would be nice to treat the PDF file as a picture, and display it as any other picture.

It can't be done. The image libraries do not treat PDF files as images.

You can convert the pdf to pictures fairly easily and then have TMG deal with the pictures.

The fairly expensive Adobe Acrobat is not the only program that can do this. A low-cost alternative might be using Ghostscript/GSview. It can convert pdf to jpg, tiff and png at least. I've done it several times. Ghostscript is under GPL. GSview is under "Aladdin Free Public License" and requires no payment, but payment of a registration fee is welcomed.

It might be a bit(?) complicated to install & use, but works well when everything is set up... and it is hard to compete with the price

I agree it would be easier if TMG could do this, but at least there is a workaround.