Sign in to follow this  
Daryl Edmonds

Journal report

When putting out a Journal report there appears, at least to me, a fair bit of unnecessary repetition when there are several generations represented. For example, Generation One will have all the BMDB details of the husband and wife then a list of their children with each of their BMDB details. Generation Two then goes on and repeats all the BMDB details from the previous section and adds the children (with their BMDB details) for that family.

Children of Jane Elizabeth Talbot and Stephen Richard Couzner were as follows:

25. i. HENRY ALFRED was born on 17 Aug 1880 in Appila Yarrowie, South Australia, son of Stephen Richard Couzner and Jane Elizabeth Talbot.

On 31 Mar 1909, age 28, he married Charlotte Elizabeth Gale, age 20, daughter of Mark Gale, in St James CE Church, Yacka, South Australia.

Henry died on Thu. 6 May 1954, in Jamestown, South Australia, aged 73 years, 8 months and 19 days. Henry was buried in in the Jamestown Cemetery, Jamestown, South Australia.

I would like to put out a report that just lists the children and their birth details under the parents and add their other life experiences under their generation's heading. eg:

Children of Jane Elizabeth Talbot and Stephen Richard Couzner were as follows:

i. HENRY ALFRED was born on 17 Aug 1880 in Appila Yarrowie, South Australia

ii. STEPHEN GEORGE was born on 5 Mar 1881 in Appilla, South Australia

etc. etc and so forth... and then have their life details in their generation section.

There's a lot of duplicated space when outputting to a printable format and, depending how much detail is included, what would be a 100 page report could probably be pared back to 60-80 pages.

Short of putting it in a Word document and editing it manually, is there any way to achieve what I want?

When putting out a Journal report there appears, at least to me, a fair bit of unnecessary repetition when there are several generations represented. For example, Generation One will have all the BMDB details of the husband and wife then a list of their children with each of their BMDB details. Generation Two then goes on and repeats all the BMDB details from the previous section and adds the children (with their BMDB details) for that family.

Yes, that is the classic definition of a Journal report.

I would like to put out a report that just lists the children and their birth details under the parents and add their other life experiences under their generation's heading.

Have you looked at the report Options that are available? Specifically, on the Tags tab of Options?

You can specify whether the events in the list of children will be in full sentence format (as they are in your example) or in compressed format. Further, you can speicify which of the BMDB events are to be displayed. I think you should be able to get what you want from those options.

Since this would not conform to any of the standard Journal styles, you have to change the style (General tab) to custom before you can modify these settings.

Thanks Terry, I had misunderstood what some of the "options" did.

Another query; I can't seem to generate an index when outputting a Journal Report to MS Word. I've ticked "custom format" under the "General" tab and tried various combinations of settings in the "Index" tab but nothing seems to be generated. Any suggestions?

Thanks Terry, I had misunderstood what some of the "options" did.

Another query; I can't seem to generate an index when outputting a Journal Report to MS Word. I've ticked "custom format" under the "General" tab and tried various combinations of settings in the "Index" tab but nothing seems to be generated. Any suggestions?

Did you define and generate the index in Word? TMG marks the items to be included in the index but you have to define and generate it in Word...not all that familiar with the process in Word, more familiar with WordPerfect...

As Paul says, TMG embeds the codes for the index in the document, but you have to actually generate the index in the word processor. Move the cursor to the place in the document where you want the index to appear, then create the index. In my old version of Word you do that with the Insert > Indexes and Tables menu, then select the style and other detail in the Index and Tables screen that opens. Details may very a bit if you use a newer version of Word.