Sign in to follow this  
strathglass

Ahnentafel Report to WORD or RTF: file NOT generated

Running TMG7.03 on Win XP PRO SP3 (running under VMWare Fusion on Mac OS X 10.5.4) (system has Office 2003 installed) (system [XP & Office] fully updated with MS Update).

Weird problem trying to create the subject report:

it creates OK in HTML format.

But when I try to create in RTF or Word 2000 or later or Word v8, it seems to have a problem:

-several progress bar windows show and complete/go away (generating output for 19 people, generating bibliography, etc.)

-then it seems to just hang with the report window open and an hour glass (tried waiting many minutes to see progress, but nothing happens)

-the task manager shows virtually no CPU load (System Idle process running at mostly 98 or 99%)

-I have no way out except to try and kill TMG with task manager: when I try, TMG comes back with a Window saying output has completed, do I want to open the file?!!!

-At this point the file is created but is empty!

Any advice?

(I haven't tried with this current setup to see if other reports in Word or RTF create OK.)

Regards, Strathglass.

:excl:Please note this answer applies to running TMG in a Virtual Machine on an Intel Processor Mac using Parallels :excl:

Save the file to a folder in the Windows Virtual Machine, NOT a folder mapped to the Mac file system.

I'm running Office 2008 on the Mac side, so TMG can't handle opening the file after it is generated.

See: File > Preferences > Program Options > Reports

Choose either Never ask; do not open the file, or Always ask

I then navigate to the folder where I've saved the file, right click then mouse over Open with, and choose Microsoft Word.app(Mac) :thumbsup2:

Edited by ggilbert1

Ah bingo - that did it Glenn, thanks very much! (Although in my case I do have a windows version of Office installed.)

I was able to also get TMG working on Parallels by keeping the TMG files on the Parallels VM (in C:\ in My Documents folder) (wouldn't work with data files on the Mac side for unknown reasons).

Do you have any reason to recommend one over the other for Parallels or Fusion?

I prefer Parallels for a few reasons, but don't like that the files are kept on the PC VM.

Regards, Strathglass

Have not used Fusion so can't make a recommendation. I've just become aware of VirtualBox an open source virtualization product, but have not tried it yet.

Have not used Fusion so can't make a recommendation. I've just become aware of VirtualBox an open source virtualization product, but have not tried it yet.

Don't know how it works on the Mac but is very functional on Linux. Have experimented and now am about to do a final install & put my few 'required' Windoze programs, primarily TMG :wink: along with a couple of photo editors & Eudora in Virtual Box on my XP Pro then I can dispense with my dual boot and do all my work in Linux even when opening Windoze.

B)

Joan