Sign in to follow this  
arildt

Convert scanned images from lossless jpg to other jpg

Using TMG v. 7.03 I have scanned some old pictures using the format "JPEG File Interchange Format with YUV 4:4:4 color space and Lossless." This works fine within TMG, but if I make a report in Word 2003 using these images, it does not work since Word does not handle this image format. Also, I want to edit some of the pictures using Adobe Photoshop Elements v.6 but this program also does not suppoert this format.

How can I convert these pictures into a JPEG format that Word and Photoshop can handle? (e.g. "Exif file containing a JPEG compressed image and YUV 4:2:2 color space" which works fine).

And how can I change the format TMG will use when scanning images? First time I scanned I could select the format, but I cannot find how to change this format for later scans.

Kind regards,

Arild.

The lossless JPEG image format is a niche format that was never widely adopted and should not be used.

Save your archive images in TIF or PNG format and make normal JPG images from those for use with TMG or SS2.

I'll look at the TMG scanning issue but am waiting on a different scanner and will look at that as soon as the scanner arrives.

Update...

I scanned in TMG and could save in 24-bit PNG and would advise using that choice. I don't know if the formats for saving are from the LeadTools library or are tied to your scanner driver. In any event, there should be some lossless choices other than JPEG available.

Personally, I would also never scan from the Exhibit Log. The EL scan is simply too crude a device. I scan into an image editor and can clean up my scan at that point and save my archive image.

Edited by Jim Byram

The lossless JPEG image format is a niche format that was never widely adopted and should not be used.

Save your archive images in TIF or PNG format and make normal JPG images from those for use with TMG or SS2.

I'll look at the TMG scanning issue but am waiting on a different scanner and will look at that as soon as the scanner arrives.

Thank you for your reply. I found a shareware that can do the convertion for me, even batch mode (Graphics Converter PRO from IconCool http://www.iconcool.com/graphics-converter.htm).