Maccara

Help (F1 etc) does not work on XP x64

Has anyone encountered this? (tried to search but couldn't find anything relevant)

In TMG (v7.03) pressing F1, selecting help from menu, or pressing "Help" button where available does not open the help (nothing happens).

I can browse the help ok if I open it separately (from the shortcut), but as a new user it would be nice to be able to get context sensitive help too.

Running XP x64, so that may be the cause, but if anyone could confirm if this is the case or any ideas how to fix, I would appreciate that.

(I've also tried re-installing/repairing etc just to make sure that is not the cause)

F1 works fine under WinVista x64 and have no idea why there would be an issue under WinXP x64.

So this definitely is not only a 64bit issue then. Any ideas what to try to fix this? (reinstalling already tried)

Btw, have you installed TMG in the default location (would be c:\program files(x86)\... in normal x64 env) or somewhere else? (I have installed in f:\program files(x86)\...) With that in mind, I already tried simple "subst c: f:\" in case drive was hardcoded (seen this in ATI installers, for example) but that didn't help and surely the "(x86)" -part should not confuse any (decent) software.

I can't speak to x64, but the v7 default location in WinXP for the Help files (tmg.chm) is with Shared Program Data Files at

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

Note that the first time you run TMG, it copies any modifiable data files in the program folder to the three data file locations (see Help > Data File Storage). You might check that the Help files are in their default location.

Virginia

I can't speak to x64, but the v7 default location in WinXP for the Help files (tmg.chm) is with Shared Program Data Files at

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

Same location for xp x64 - Vista has it different.

Note that the first time you run TMG, it copies any modifiable data files in the program folder to the three data file locations (see Help > Data File Storage). You might check that the Help files are in their default location.

Checked that the help files (etc) are in place and "discoverable" (can locate, even from 32bit applications, and open them just fine).

Next idea I tried was to remove the whole shared prog data. All well and re-created upon next start of TMG and all, but alas, still the F1 or "contents" from help menu does not work... :(

Btw, have you installed TMG in the default location (would be c:\program files(x86)\... in normal x64 env) or somewhere else?

The install path should make no difference.

I have one v7 installation at:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\The Master Genealogist v7"

and another at:

"D:\TMG"

F1 works fine in both.

The install path should make no difference.

Figured as much; was good to confirm anyways.

Do you happen to have any idea, what API is used (and how) to call the HTML help?

I.e. the standard would be something like:

HtmlHelp(		 GetDesktopWindow(),		   "c:\\MyHelpFile.chm::/intro.htm",		   HH_DISPLAY_TOC,		   NULL);

with normal HTML help SDK to get the table of contents.

I don't even know in what language TMG is written in, so no point for me to start debugging and trapping system calls at random. :)

Edited by Maccara

Does the Visual Chartform Help work? It is separate from TMG Help, so to check it you have to first create a box chart so that you are in Visual Chartform.

Sorry, forgot to mention that works just fine. But note, that it is using WinHelp instead of HTML help - different helpsystem altogether, different API (although should be quite simple to convert from winhelp to html help).

I noticed there also exists a HTML help for the chartform, but that can only be invoked from the shortcut

Edit: Forgot to also mention, I have checked that HTML Help works in other applications (32 & 64 bit) still to confirm the whole help system wasn't broken for some reason. Only TMG is affected.

Edited by Maccara