Kim & Kelly Derrick

Picklist general sorting problem

:huh: I have a picklist sorting problem. When I have a number of people with the same surname, the picklist will often group them into separate chunks. How do I get the picklist to list all the people with a common surname in one integrated list? This is what it does:

• Smith, Alice
  • Smith, George
  • Smith, Thomas
  • Smith, Ann
  • Smith, Benjamin
  • Smith, Richard
  • Smith, William

I want it to list them like this:

• Smith, Alice
  • Smith, Ann
  • Smith, Benjamin
  • Smith, George
  • Smith, Richard
  • Smith, Thomas
  • Smith, William

This is especially a problem when I have a lot of people by the same last name because I have to flip up and down and check both sections for everyone. I am using the same template for everyone. I can't see any reason as to why it is handling the names differently. I don't know why it chooses to group them the way it does. I have tried changing the way the picklist is sorted, and then changing it back to format I want, but the names still are not integrated.

First, I saw your other post, and I wonder if that might be your problem. So first run the maintenance programs Virginia suggested. IF that doesn't fix it, then you need to check the name tags to see what the first name sort is. Make sure that the name in that field is the one you want to sort on. BUt I really think the maintenance programs will fix it for you.

First, I saw your other post, and I wonder if that might be your problem. So first run the maintenance programs Virginia suggested. IF that doesn't fix it, then you need to check the name tags to see what the first name sort is. Make sure that the name in that field is the one you want to sort on. BUt I really think the maintenance programs will fix it for you.

I ran the Maintenance program with no success. I have triple checked the sort order for the name tags. I chose surname, given name, birth date. Thanks.

I did run the maintenance programs. It said it found a problem or two, but that didn't change this problem. I did check the sorting template and the name I want it to sort by is the one noted in the sorting template. I think one thing that might be affecting it is that sometimes I will use the Other Name field, BUT that field is not even mentioned in the sort instructions, so I'm a little puzzled as to why it should sort those differently. I guess it's just an eccentricity I'll have to live with. <_<

Good. Sometimes we users can help, sometimes you just need someone to look at the files. Hope everything gets to working again. I know how frustrating it can be to be in the genealogy mood and not be able to get things to work.