Helmut Leininger

Best method to store

Hi,

I will first tell the story (shortened version) that I found in a church register from 1841 before asking the question.

May 13th 1841 in the evening, Johann Niederer (1), wanted to go home from the nearby inn of Andreas Niederer, rather drunk and accompanied by two children of his step-daughter Magdalena Niederer. But he staggered too much and fell into the Rhine together with one of the children, named Agatha Lutz (2). Due to the yelling of the other child, named Ferdinand Lutz (3) the innkeeper Andreas Niederer (4) and his step-daughter Magdalena Niederer (5) came out. The innkeeper tried first to rescue Johann Niederer with a bucket, but Johann Niederer let it go. Then the innkeeper fetched a hook-pole, could not catch Johann Niederer any more, but succeeded in rescueing Agatha. Many searches on May 14th were without success. It was May 27th in the evening when finally Johann Lutz (6) and Ferdinand Lutz (7), a teacher, found his body swimming in the Rheinholz (wood in the Rhine). ... He was buried the 29th of May at 7 o'clock in the morning by J. Bachler, priest.

I want to store this information in such manner that I can easily "see" this story from all the involved people (with the correct date) and also have "links" to the other involved persons without multiplying the story too often.

For sure, Johann Niederer (1) will have it connected to his death. For the others it will probably be an anecdote. Who should be Principal, Witness, ...?

Many thanks for your ideas.

Regards

Helmut

... I want to store this information in such manner that I can easily "see" this story from all the involved people (with the correct date) and also have "links" to the other involved persons without multiplying the story too often.

For sure, Johann Niederer (1) will have it connected to his death. For the others it will probably be an anecdote. Who should be Principal, Witness, ...?

Helmut,

I was reviewing the Forum today and notice that none of us users ever responded. If it is not too late to offer ideas, I will try.

In my opinion there are three issues here. First, this "story" is from a source and should be cited as one. I assume you have already made the church register a source and the citation on Johann Niederer's Death tag would indicate the page within the register where this story was found. I would probably not include the entire transcription as part of the narrative for his Death tag, but would create a shorter story based on the source and simply cite the source.

Second, you asked how "store" a transcription of this story in TMG. My recommendation would be as a text exhibit attached to the Source itself. When you open the source from within the Master Source List you can simply click on the Exhibit Log camera icon and then enter the text of the transcription in the exhibit. Note that exhibits attached to sources are not included in TMG reports (but links to source exhibits are made in Second Site). But if you only want to "store" the transcription, then this should be sufficient.

Third, you asked how to connect this story to all the people mentioned. I agree that a separate tag with all the people linked to that one tag seems best, and of course there would be a citation to the source on this tag as well. That would link everyone to the story with access to the source exhibit transcription via the citation. It could be an Anecdote tag, or even a History tag. The one advantage of a History tag is that it has no Principals so you don't have to choose. Each linked person can have their own unique Witness sentence so each person's narrative can uniquely describe their role in the story. The question is whether you would also want to reprint the entire story transcription in each narrative. If so, you could attach it (again?) as a text exhibit to this tag and then chose to print event exhibits in your report options.

Hope this gives you ideas,