Hi,

I have been using V6 for a while and looking to generate some reports but the one I want do not seem to be there. I would like to (a) generate a report of the whole data base (i know this is a lot but it will be useful) also (B) to select an individual and report on their ancestors, including their relations and partners. Finally © is it possible to merge 2 reports in VCF?

Thanks in advance

Clive P

Clive,

A. What sort of report do you have in mind for "the whole data base"? You can easily get a list of names for everyone, and include whichever data items, such as birth and death dates and places, that you specify in Options.

You can generate Family Group Sheets for each family in the Project.

You can create Individual Detail reports for everyone, which essentually shows what is on the Details view.

You can create Individual Narratives for everyone. They will not show parents or children, which may make them less useful.

You cannot create a single Ancestor or Descendants reports that will cover everyone unless your Project is limited to the ancestors or descendants of a single person, which generally is not the case. But you can create a set of Descendant reports, each one in the set showing the desendants of one of your "end of line" ancestors.

If you provide some details on what you want to achieve we can provide specific suggestions for how to get a particular type of report for "everyone."

B. It's easy to get an ancestors report for any individual. Easiest way is to navigate to the desired focus person, then create either an Ahnentafel Report, or use the Journal and specify in Options that you want an Ancestors report. Check the Use the Current Focus Person option at the top of the Report Defintion screen. There are lots of Options available to customize just what is included.

Or you could create a Pedigree chart or Ancestor Box chart if you only want basic BMDB data to be shown.

C, Yes, you can merge two or more box charts. Create and open the two charts. Decide which you are going to use as the "base" and use the Tools > Diagram > Diagram Measurements menu to enlarge the "canvas" to make room for the material from the other chart. Go to the other chart and click and drag the dotted line that forms around all the elements you want to copy. Use Ctrl-C or Edit Copy to copy the selected items, then go to the "base" chart and paste that material in. You can selected parts around, and create connections between the two parts if you want. My article on Editing Charts may be helpful.

Clive, if you are thinking of an Every-person box chart, you can't do that in TMG. They seem like a good idea, but are often ungainly and confusing. If you are using one-page box charts, a good way to get everyone is by making an Ancestor box chart and then Descendant box charts for people of interest in the Ancestor chart. You can even include numbers on the Ancestor chart to point to page numbers on the Descendant charts.

The Ancestor box chart has an option on the Other tab to include siblings.

You can find examples of one-page charts and links to examples of all types of charts in the recent messages here on Composite Charts and also the VCF Palette thread. Please ask if you have questions about making any of these charts. They are really quite easy to construct and customize, even for the graphically-challenged like me.

Virginia