jeda

backup problem

Hoping someone out there in "computer land" can help a not very computer literate person.

I am using TMG7.01 UK Gold edition and so far have had no problem in backing up my project until today when I got all the way through the backup wizard to step 5 when i clicked on finish. After program thought about it for a minute i then got a message saying program error - "String is too long" Could somebody please explain what this means as i am just about cross eyed trying to find this in help!

PS what is string ?

Not sure if this is related, but it is possible you are getting this error because TMG must "restart" after doing a backup. In a previous forum post the String too long error was related to startup. If you have turned off the "Welcome window", then this may also be your problem. You might try turning it back on in Preferences. If that doesn't work or doesn't apply, repost and maybe some other one of us users will have another idea.

As Michael said, TMG is probably restarting after the backup and you have run into a not-unusual but elusive error message that the 'string is too long'. In virtually all cases TMG will start normally the next time. Apparently as TMG is running through its checklist on startup it spots what it thinks might be an anomaly - and you get that message. I have gotten the error a couple of times (never when I have the Welcome Window enabled) and the program has always opened without incident the next time.

I'm guessing that in this context the 'string' is computerese for a sequence of characters.

Virginia

Thank you Michael & Virginia for your replies. I enabled the Welcome Window closed program without trying to back up and opened program again later in the day entered a bit more info then when i closed down answered yes to backup but unfortunately didn't make any difference,even the two bars where you can see the backup in progress don't appear now- just seems to freeze (i now get (program not responding).

Jeda

If you haven't rebooted the computer recently, try that.

If that makes no difference, try disabling the backup on exit in Preferences - and see if a manual backup gives you the same problem.

Is there any change that might have precipitated the problem - like a change in the backup location? Are you making the backup to the same drive - not to an external medium?

Virginia

Is there any change that might have precipitated the problem - like a change in the backup location? Are you making the backup to the same drive -

No haven't changed backup location and yes am backing up to same drive. ©

I now have welcome window enabled and removed auto backup and tried it manually. I have tried again and same thing happened after a few minutes - "string too long "so instead of cancelling i then hit ignore a few times and lo and behold it started to back up - so all i can think of there is a gremlin lurking about! funny thing is i have 2 separate projects both have about the same amount of people and info and this "string too long" only comes up on 1 project.

thank you for your input and help

"Clutching at straws" here, but... since it only occurs on one project what are the exact names of the projects? By chance does the one that has problems have special characters in the project name?