ackruszka

Foreign characters in name fields - import problems

I do some Polish research and hoped that I would be able to use the diacritics in the name field. I am using a trial version 7 and nothing I do will insert those special characters.

I imported my entire database from Rootsmagic via Gedcom. Of course none of the image links in my family scrapbooks transferred except for tags saying what they were. Since my husband and I have 51 images in our family scrapbook, I think TMG will not work for me.

Any suggestions?

I do some Polish research and hoped that I would be able to use the diacritics in the name field. I am using a trial version 7 and nothing I do will insert those special characters.

TMG does not support Unicode, so it will not accept a wide range of accented characters. It will accept some; you have to know the keycodes and the key combinations to enter them. I am not certain, but I think the character set is ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) or possibly Windows-1252. You can see which characters are in those sets here:

I think you use the Alt key and numbers from the keypad to enter the characters. While holding down Alt, press zero and the the number from beneath the characters in the tables shown on the linked pages.

I imported my entire database from Rootsmagic via Gedcom. Of course none of the image links in my family scrapbooks transferred except for tags saying what they were. Since my husband and I have 51 images in our family scrapbook, I think TMG will not work for me.

TMG supports images via its "Exhibits" feature. I believe you can import images from Gedcom files, but you probably have to use the Advanced options in the Gedcom import facility to do so.

51 exhibits is not that many. Some TMG users have thousands of exhibits.