strathglass

Report/Tree problem with inbreeding - "This person is a duplicate"

Hi all:

I am trying to understand if the situation I have is normal operation or if there is an issue with the TMG tree display and/or Visual Chartform's output:

There is some inbreeding in this particular family tree, which may be the issue:

John and Dorcas begat John Jr. and Asa.

But Asa and John's offspring married each other and begat Sabra.

I was entering data from younger to older and realized that Asa's parents were the same as John Jr's, so I simply put the existing person# values for John and Dorcas as Asa's mom & dad.

The problem? In the output report, I would expect to see John and Dorcas once, but they show up twice (the second instances marked as "This person is a duplicate").

I was hoping the output generation would be smarter than this, and put them in only once and draw the appropriate lines to children John Jr. and Asa.

Also, in TMG tree view, John and Dorcas also show twice, but at least you can figure out its the same people because the person# values are shown (and are the same in both places).

Are these just limitations or are they bugs?

My main disappointment is that the chart output duplicates the couple instead of just drawing lines appropriately. Can this be fixed?

Regards,

Strathglass

Hi all:

I am trying to understand if the situation I have is normal operation or if there is an issue with the TMG tree display and/or Visual Chartform's output:

There is some inbreeding in this particular family tree, which may be the issue:

John and Dorcas begat John Jr. and Asa.

But Asa and John's offspring married each other and begat Sabra.

I was entering data from younger to older and realized that Asa's parents were the same as John Jr's, so I simply put the existing person# values for John and Dorcas as Asa's mom & dad.

The problem? In the output report, I would expect to see John and Dorcas once, but they show up twice (the second instances marked as "This person is a duplicate").

I was hoping the output generation would be smarter than this, and put them in only once and draw the appropriate lines to children John Jr. and Asa.

Also, in TMG tree view, John and Dorcas also show twice, but at least you can figure out its the same people because the person# values are shown (and are the same in both places).

Are these just limitations or are they bugs?

My main disappointment is that the chart output duplicates the couple instead of just drawing lines appropriately. Can this be fixed?

Regards,

Strathglass

This is neither a limitation nor a bug. It is a genealogical standard for ancestor charts. You can change the phrasiology of "This is a duplicate person" to a phrase of your choosing.

But all is not lost for your graphic desires. TMG provides the option to output charts to VCF. VCF is a TMG included program that allows you to edit and revise your charts to the way that you like them. Click on the Support Forums above and then on VCF for ideas on how to do it your way.

VCF requires a little practice. Try it, if you run into problems post your specific questions on that VCF forum.

Best wishes,

Mike Talbot