Dave Sharred

Upgrade from V3.5 - V7 new user question

Hi ;

I took over my father's research files some years ago; he used V3.5.

Now, I needed to migrate to a newer PC; and purchased V7.

I am confused by the patch file archives, and if I need to use them or not.

Could I just move teh SQZ files over, and all will be ok ? This would have been my preferred route; his files were pretty uncomplicated (no attachments). It depends on if teh structure of teh SQZ file has changed ?

If I have to convert them, I see no ealrier convertors from V3.5 files ?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Dave Sharred

Thanks Virginia; I just found that, and it looked promising....

BUT - the new software is Project based (PJC); whereas the old just wanted a TMG file name (and SQZ for backup).

By importing , I have found a problem - when it starts converting ("updating data set v3.5.2...); I get an error box saying "Variable EDATE not found 1063 FIX352"; if I then accept Ignore, it looks for a dbf file. There are a number in teh root of V7, but I wouldn't know which one I should be selecting ! I then get a message "no table is open in teh current working area" ; and teh application is stuck - I cannott quit; it is frozen - only Contrl-alt-del to end task will close TMG !

Confused. The demo works ok !

Dave

When you get the error message and the open file dialog box, there is nothing further you can do and you should not try to select a dbf file. Contact tech support directly by email: support@whollygenes.com. They will be able to help you import the data.

Instead of using Task Manager when TMG appears frozen, try Help / Check for an Update if that menu option is not dimmed. This will allow TMG to shut down normally. You can then cancel the update.

Virginia

Dave -

Sorry we couldn't get you fixed up before the holiday, but there may be problems with pre v4 imports that tech support can handle for you. In the meantime, if you are new to v7, you can open the Sample project and get acquainted with the program. Let us know if you have any questions -

Virginia

Thanks a lot again Virginia; I can wait.

I am looking around the new software; I was already familiar with the old.

As I said, I need to get rid of the old Win 95 PC , which prompted the upgrade !

Dave