Annie

Relationship Chart

I am trying to create a relationship chart using "Word For Windows 2000 Or Later" in the sroll down menu but all I'm getting when I open the saved report is gobbledegook.

For instance:

"ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿

³ Joseph Lovett ³

³ b.1789 ³

³ in {FONT ARIAL 8}Llanbedr Painscastle{FONT ARIAL 8}, ³"

I've tried it in RTF too and get exactly the same

Any help gratefully received

Annie

Annie -

Someone else may have a suggestion, but a couple of thing to try:

- Print the report to Screen or to PDF

- If you are using the option for Short Place Field, try unchecking that

- Reset the report configuration to its defaults using the Delete button under the report configuration name.

Let us know what works for you -

Virginia

Just tried it again and the same gobbledegook appeared.

There isn't an option to print to screen and I don't use PDF as it causes migraines.

Thanks Virginia

Print preview works fine, have switched short place field off but it made no difference when saving to word, as it is for a new cousin I'll print it off and hope I can work out a way to save it to file

Tried using a different report, Family Group sheet, saved in word 2000, no problem!

Had another play today and it exports in PDF no problem.

Reset all to default and the report in Word for Windows 2000 is readable but the box outline is all in code and there doesn't seem to be an option to cancel the lines

I think you are missing the Courier New (True Type) font - cour.ttf :sadwalk:

You may have too many fonts installed, I think Windows can only see 255 fonts, or you may have removed it.

The forum won't let me attach the file... :glare: you should be able to find the font on your system someplace or maybe a forum admin can upload it.

Thanks Glenn, I know I haven't removed it because I wouldn't have a clue how to or to add it for that matter ;)

I'll have another look tomorrow and see if it is there or not

Annie

On Windows XP the font are located in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

Thanks Glenn

Have had a look and yes the font is there, we only have 190 fonts so not over-loaded either

Hi Sam

I've tried it in Microsoft Word and OpenOffice, makes no difference

Annie

Edited by Annie

In testing I found a variety of font problems when sending this report to a word processor - not just Word for Windows but also to Word Perfect and Open Office - including the font code display you report. See also the archived messages on this subject in the tmg-l Rootsweb mailing list here. Enter 'relationship report font' in the Body field to find the messages.

It appears to be an individual problem - perhaps a combination of the types of fonts we each have on our computer and the limitations of a format which includes the fixed-font boxes and proportional text being converted to a variety of word-processor versions. When I use the default options I get Courier text instead of Arial but do not see the font code display like you do. If I select the Short Place Field option in the report I do get a font code display even though I have all the specified fonts. I was able to get a decent looking word-processor report using Arial MS Unicode for all the font options - so you might try that. The only universally-acceptable options I see right now are Print Preview and PDF.

Virginia

Thank you to everyone for their help.

I've tried all suggestions and nothing has improved the outcome so will just save as PDF and print from there as needed