ChristelleJvR

Using custom sentence in Individual Narrative

I've created a number of custom tags by copying existing tags and then modifying the sentences. For example, I created a "Moved" tag by copying and renaming the Immigration tag, and replacing the "immigrated to" to "moved to". I also added a "MovedWith" role for the children of the parents.

I also modified some local sentences by adding [+] to combine it with the previous sentence.

However, when I generate the Individual Narrative report, the original sentences are used. The "Moved" sentences appear, but reads "immigrated to", my "Cremated" tag still reads "buried" and the combined sentences still appear as separate sentences.

I can for the life of me not figure out what I'm doing wrong. Are there any settings I should enable? Since I changed the sentences, why are the old sentences still being used? :wacko:

Please help me fix this. :huh:

Thanks,

Christelle Jansen van Rensburg

Sounds to me like the Language used for the Sentences is not the same Language the report is using.

Open the Tag Type Definition screen and note the Language at the upper right. Then open the Report Definition, click Options, and note the Language shown on the General tab. I expect you will find they are different. If it's not obvious to you which is "correct" post the details here and we can help you figure it out.

Sounds to me like the Language used for the Sentences is not the same Language the report is using.

:rolleyes:

Thanks!

The language on the one was set to English UK and the other to English US.

I cannot remember ever changing that.

Is there any way to change the language for all tags and reports and lists and whatever to a given language, without doing it one by one?

Again, thanks for your help.

You're welcome, Christelle.

The Language that is used by default in the Sentence screens of Tag Types and individual Tags is the interface Language - the one set on the File > Language menu. You should set that to the Language you want to use for them. You can still view the sentences in other Languages by using the drop-down on the Sentence screens.

The interface Language setting also determines the Language setting for new report definitions. But once a report defintion is saved, changing the interface Language setting will not change the setting in that report definition. So, if you have report defintions saved that are set to English(US), you will have to manually change them if you want them to use English(UK).

For more about Languages you could read my Langauge articles.