Sign in to follow this  
Stephanie J

Not easy to buy the upgrade

I *love* TMG and have used it for a LONG time. I'd like to see it last. But the purchasing process for the upgrade is so flawed (and I'm not talking installation, just purchase) I'm wondering...

First - I've got a master's in an IT field and have been working in it for nearly 30 years. I found this mildly irritating for myself, but I know, from watching family and friends, that they would GIVE UP in frustration if faced with the same issues.

I wanted to installed v7 on my new PC. I have 6.12 on my old PC. I go to the website on the new PC and it asks for a license #. I go to my old version, look for a license # in the Help/About area, where most software keeps it. No license # but a serial #. I go to tech support on the website and look for "6 license" and find complaints that WG doesn't identify that serial=license, just a self-justifying "not our problem" response saying you need to hang onto your old license email, blah blah. Guys - just put "license/serial#" into this page: http://www.whollygenes.com/Merchant2/merch...&Quantity=1

Second: the serial # is a THIRTYTWO character string. And there's no way to tell from the font used which characters are "zeros" and which are letter "Oh's". I ended up coping and pasting and mailing the number and bringing up my email program on the second PC. Yeah, maybe it's in the OLD OLD email but that's not a thing that's a given, and we aren't told ON THAT PAGE that it's in our in our old email, either. You may live with this and know it down to your socks, but most people don't. Even those of us who are pros get serial#/license #'s 30 different ways - email, yes, but also packages, websites, etc.

Third: I got all the way thru the order process, filling in all the fields (I use Roboform, so it's just a couple clicks) and THEN I'm told the serial number is bad. Dudes - do that right after I fill in the serial number, OK? And HELP ME find and fill it in. Many website have little popups showing people where the security code is on their credit cards, or little 'help' links. You should, too.

Fourth: After I got the error message about stop, your license # is bad and you could be billed twice (I pity your accounting department) or some such, there is NO WAY for me to TRY AGAIN from there. And no obvious way to empty my cart. I had to 'remove' the upgrade order, then start over. Three times.

Guys - at least make your purchasing easy. And quit blaming the customer.

You need to take this to Support.

support@whollygenes.com

410-715-2260

Just point them to your message above so that someone reads it.

And, just to be clear, v7 is not an upgrade but an entirely different program. Your prior v6 registration gets you an 'upgrade' price.