jhgtinker

Event Memo - Global Entry

Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible, either by using TMG or TMG Utility, to enter the same text entry into all event memo fields. I know I can do this with 'replace' if the memo field isn't empty but I need to do it where the memo fields are empty.

Thank you

John

Hi John,

This is very simple using the TMG Utility but as another user asked from your duplicate post on the Second Site forum, the real question is why you would want to do that?? :unsure: What are you trying to accomplish?? For any normal use of TMG doing this seems to be very unusual. I would be interested to hear your reasons as I cannot imagine ever wanting to do this.

[edit- John explained on the Second Site forum that this action was to provide custom text for use in a very special map facility he has created and added to his genealogy web site. I find his a clever and elegant use of an advanced custom feature.]

However, if you really do want to do this... Use the Find/Replace feature of TMG Utility for the Event Memo, and use Pattern Matching along with Variable Replacement. I believe the Find string should be:

(^.*$)

This Pattern should match the entire contents of the memo.

[edit- For future viewers of this thread, the above Find string has been edited/corrected based on John's testing. His reply on the Second Site forum indicated that this does what he needed.]

I believe the Replace string you probably want would be:

$1 text to be added to the end of the memo

The "$1" is the Variable Replacement to insert everything that matched inside the parens from the Pattern Match, which in this case would be the entire current contents of the memo. Whatever follows the "$1"would be the fixed text you want to append to the memo. Be sure to first try this in Log Only mode to verify it does what you want, and remember to always Backup your TMG project first before using the Utility.

Edited by Michael Hannah