I tried to use the PreSurname tag (for Welsh terms "ap" and "verch"), but the terms don't display in the "details" view. Is this by design, or am I doing it wrong? Tx.

Tools / Master Style List

You will note that the display templates for the default name style do not include the Presurname field.

You will need to make a custom name style that includes the Presurname field in the display templates... and the template acting in the person View is the Surname display template.

Guest Michael Dietz

Colin: Here is the style I use for English-French names including the few I have in Wales.

I have to give credit to (I don't remember who). I have used this style for several years and I got it from somebody's web page but unfortunately I don't remember who. I apologize to that person and wish I could give all the credit to them as it has worked very well for me. If you happen to read this message please take credit for it as you do deserve all the credit for designing this name style.

I call the style 'English-French' for obvious reasons.

The 10 fields (L1 through l10) are:

Style

Rank

GivenName

PreSurname

House

Suffix

Realm

SortHouse

SortGiven

Unused

The various templates with the style are:

Default Template: [style] [Rank] [GivenName] [PreSurname] [House] [suffix] [Realm]

Surname Sort Template: [sortHouse], [sortGiven] [PreSurname], [style] [Rank] [suffix] [Realm]

Surname Display Template: [House], [GivenName] ([PreSurname]) [style] [Rank] [suffix] [Realm]

Given Sort Template: [sortGiven] [suffix] [PreSurname] [sortHouse], [style] [Rank] [Realm]

Given Name Display Template: [GivenName] [suffix] [PreSurname] [House], [style] [Rank] [Realm]

Children/Siblings Display Template: [style] [Rank] [GivenName] [PreSurname] [House] [suffix] [Realm]

The only thing to remember after you have entered the style is to select the style when you enter the name, either primary or other, for the individual.

As Jim said: notice the PreSurname is in the display template(s). That will fix your problem.

Have fun with the Welsh spellings of names.

Mike