SoCalRivethed

TMG 7 relations problem

ok I only have this issue with one person in my tree, but it is persistent. when relationships are applied and view, this one person shows up as a Nth Great Grand Aunt. I f I remove both her father and mother, and reapply relationship to root person, she correctly appears as Nth Great Grandmother. If I add one or both parents bacj inot the mix, and refresh relationships again, she reverts to being Great grand aunt. She has 3 of 5 siblings who are also technically direct blood, but not one of them exhibits this issue. Any suggestions??

thanks

p.s., this happens with different installations, as I tried this on another system with the same version.

Edited by SoCalRivethed

I assume when you say "relationships are applied" that you are talking about TMG's Relationship Calculator? Since you are only getting unexpected results for this one person, is it possible that what you are seeing is correct? A person can have more than one relationship by tracing through different ancestors.

From the TMG Help:

"The Relationship Calculator will determine the nearest blood relationship between two designated individuals in the data set. It will also indicate the common ancestors on whom each relationship is based. The calculations are based on the primary parent records and do not include relationships based on parents that are recorded as non-primary. The Relationship Calculator can also calculate the relationship between two people when the relationship occurs through the spouse of one of the individuals selected."

I emphasized "nearest" in the above as it is possible/likely that when you link in the parents TMG finds a nearer blood connection than would exist through only the spouse or children. The relationship you are seeing without parents linked must be either through children or spouse, so makes me suspect that there actually is some other nearer relationship through the parents.

Could this be the case?

OK, I will try again, person of interest is a my 33rd great grandmother. Her parents are my 34th great grandparents, her son is my 32nd great granfather.

through a direct line running up through her brother, who is my 31st ggfather, and her sister, being my 30th ggmother, makers their parents also my 32nd and 31st ggparents. Out of all the siblings, she is the only one that does not show up correctly (and yes, I find it odd that 3 sibliungs of the same generation are my direct line ancestors, but it happens if you go far enugh back.)

given the 31st ggparents, makes her my 30th ggaunt.

bUt I thought direct line to precedense <sp?> over directline siblings?

or am I not explaining this right?

You are explaining it just fine. The key is the term nearest I emboldened in TMG Help. The relationship 30th ggaunt is a nearer relationship than 33rd great grandmother. As the Help says, direct line does not take precedence, nearest takes precedence, and 30th is nearer than 33rd.

At least that is the way that I understand how the program works.