Daryl Edmonds

Descendant Indented Narrative.

When a Descendant Indented Narrative report is published I would like the output to be a bit more reader friendly.

What I mean by that is: when there are several children in a family they all include the phrase eg. "XXXXX daughter of George Alexander GRANT and Mary Kate WARE" "XXXXX son of George Alexander GRANT and Mary Kate WARE", etc. it gets a bit tiresome reading son/daughter of XXX and YYY up to a dozen times, depending on the number of children.

Is there a way to list the children, their birth details (date and place) without listing the parents every time. We know who they belong to because it is an indented chart. I'm sure it would look tidier when published and make for lighter reading :)

That phrase is not produced by the default Descendant Indented Narrative report. If you are getting it you must have changed the Sentence in the Birth Tag to add the parent's names, or created a separate Tag that includes them.

If the birth information follows that phrase, the change has been made to the Birth Tag. You can fix it by removing the variables for the parents names from the default Sentence for that Tag Type.

Thanks, Terry,

I don't remember changing it, not globally anyway. Or does it became global if I change a tag sentence for one person, eg. if there are several children born to a woman, all with different fathers, I would (perhaps) want the report to indicated the individual paternities?

Edited by daryl edmonds

You're welcome, Daryl.

It only changes globally if you change it in the Tag Type Definition. Changing it in individual Tags will not create a global change. I'd suggest opening the Master Tag Type List, and looking at the Sentences in the Birth Tag. Be sure to check the Role you are actually using, if you are using anything other than the default Principal Role.

As to the question of children by a multiple fathers or mothers, I'd suggest the solution is to forget the Descendant Indented Narrative report and use the Journal instead. It makes it clear which children had which parents. I suppose it's a matter of personal preference, but I find that format much more clear.

Thanks again, Terry,

I sort of figured that one out and I must admit, like you, I prefer the journal report as a detailed report but this particular family has given me another problem I can't seem to work out.

I have details of two children, Jack & Jill, born to Bill and Beryl. I have the details of Jack marrying Mary and having 4 kids, with dates, etc. I have the fact (year only) of Jill marrying Fred and the comment "they had 6 children and at least 10 grandchildren".

Jack & Mary's records and children all appear as they should (in a Journal report) but not those for Jill & Fred. I have added that sentence ("they had 6 children and at least 10 grandchildren") as a memo to a tag to get into a report. It came out in a Descendant Indented Narrative report when added to a "Num Child" tag but it wont seem to appear on a Journal Report. I've checked and double checked the options and everything appears to be as it should but, for the life of me, I can't get that sentence to appear in a Journal report. Jill doesn't even appear in the 5th generation of the report where her brother, Jack, wife and family are listed. I expected Jill to appear with her husband and the previous mentioned comment. They are both listed in the 4th generation section as children of Bill & Beryl.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks again, Terry,

I sort of figured that one out and I must admit, like you, I prefer the journal report as a detailed report but this particular family has given me another problem I can't seem to work out.

I have details of two children, Jack & Jill, born to Bill and Beryl. I have the details of Jack marrying Mary and having 4 kids, with dates, etc. I have the fact (year only) of Jill marrying Fred and the comment "they had 6 children and at least 10 grandchildren".

Jack & Mary's records and children all appear as they should (in a Journal report) but not those for Jill & Fred. I have added that sentence ("they had 6 children and at least 10 grandchildren") as a memo to a tag to get into a report. It came out in a Descendant Indented Narrative report when added to a "Num Child" tag but it wont seem to appear on a Journal Report. I've checked and double checked the options and everything appears to be as it should but, for the life of me, I can't get that sentence to appear in a Journal report. Jill doesn't even appear in the 5th generation of the report where her brother, Jack, wife and family are listed. I expected Jill to appear with her husband and the previous mentioned comment. They are both listed in the 4th generation section as children of Bill & Beryl.

All suggestions welcome!

They won't appear in the 5th generation unless you actually show them as parents of children since only those having offspring are carried forward in the journal report. I usually enter one child named "(# of Children) Surname" and then give that child a child named "(# of Grandchildren) Surname".