DuaneSmith

Adopting children from prior marriages

I have about 25 to 30 cases where children from prior marriages are adopted by succeeding spouses. I am having difficulty trying to figure how these cases should be recorded. I also have a case where a sibling adopts an illegitimate child from his brother's daughter. The baby is recorded as natural birth to mother but needs to be recorded as adopted by uncle. Doesn't seem to be easily done.

Thanks for any help along this line.

Hi Duane,

If you seach these forums using the term "adoption" you will find quite a few postings. I posted the custom tags that I use and their custom Sentences in the Sentences forum here. I choose to have two separate custom tags: one tag (which I call AdoptGive) for the separation from birth parents, and a separate tag (which I call Adopted) for someone adopting a person. (Plus three other custom tags for some special purposes.) The default Adoption tag assumes the child as the Principal. As I say in that posting my custom tags have the parents as the Principals and the child(ren) as Witness(es) using appropriate roles. The disadvantage of the child as a Witness is that one is required to set the Preference for "Show witnessed events" to see these adoption events in the child’s Person View, and print Witnessed events in reports, but I normally do that anyway. By having two separate tags it allows for the typical passage of time between these two events, which may even occur in separate locations, makes it easy to specify completely separate sets of parents or guardians for the two events, and allows different levels of how much information you may know and what citations you may have for each.

Hope this gives you ideas,

I have about 25 to 30 cases where children from prior marriages are adopted by succeeding spouses. I am having difficulty trying to figure how these cases should be recorded. I also have a case where a sibling adopts an illegitimate child from his brother's daughter. The baby is recorded as natural birth to mother but needs to be recorded as adopted by uncle. Doesn't seem to be easily done.

Thanks for any help along this line.

A person can have as many fathers and/or mothers as you like in their TMG record. The tags for all will all show in the standard Person Detail View. Only one father and one mother can be designated as primary at any given time. The primary designation controls which parent will appear on standard reports and charts.

Word processor reports and VCF charts make it easy to customize your documents with any or all of your "parents" shown in any manner that you desire.

Additional parents are easily added in TMG by clicking on the + (icon to add a tag) in the menu line at top. This will display a list of all possible tags. Mouse down, in this example, to select either Father-bio(nat) or Father-ado (I am blessed with both in my own personal record) standard tag, then fill out the pop-up form. Do the same for added mothers. You can change who is the primary mother or father at any time via the Person Detail View with the menu * icon.

Hope this helps,