Sheila

Access to Help and Help Contents

I have Version 7.04.

I am unable to access Help or Help Contents - nothing happens when I highlight them from the drop down "Help" on the menu bar.

Have I somehow turned off the Help feature?

Thanks

Sheila

You need to delete the shared program data folder. See the Data Files Storage topic in help.

The folder is either:

Windows Vista

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

or

Windows XP and Windows 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

The folder may be hidden. If so...

By default, Windows hides the Shared Program Data Folder and the User Program Data Folder, so you must select 'Show hidden files and folders' on the Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab in order to browse the folders using Windows Explorer. Windows Help should walk you through enabling this option if you click on the Windows Desktop, press the key to open Windows help and search for 'show hidden files'.

The folder (not just the folder contents) must be deleted. After the folder is deleted, the next time that TMG is run, the folder will be recreated.

After that, help should work.

You need to delete the shared program data folder. See the Data Files Storage topic in help.

The folder is either:

Windows Vista

C:\ProgramData\The Master Genealogist v7

or

Windows XP and Windows 2000

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\The Master Genealogist v7

The folder may be hidden. If so...

By default, Windows hides the Shared Program Data Folder and the User Program Data Folder, so you must select 'Show hidden files and folders' on the Windows Explorer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab in order to browse the folders using Windows Explorer. Windows Help should walk you through enabling this option if you click on the Windows Desktop, press the <F1> key to open Windows help and search for 'show hidden files'.

The folder (not just the folder contents) must be deleted. After the folder is deleted, the next time that TMG is run, the folder will be recreated.

After that, help should work.

Jim I did as you suggested and could not locate a folder titled, "Shared Program Data Folder" or "User Program Data Folder" even when set at "show hidden folders"

The other thing I discovered is Windows help isn't working either, when I click on the Windows desktop and press F1. (I am still using Windows 2000)

I guess I will have to re-install TMG. tmg.chm and vcf2.chm are both present.

Thanks

Sheila

Sheila -

Since you don't have access to the Help files in TMG or Windows, download my article on Data File Storage here. That explains on page 1 how to show hidden files and folders, and on page 3 the folder where the v7 Help files are.

Virginia

Jim I did as you suggested and could not locate a folder titled, "Shared Program Data Folder" or "User Program Data Folder" even when set at "show hidden folders"

That's because there are no folders with such names.

Please read what I wrote carefully and read the 'Data File Storage' help topic.

I guess I will have to re-install TMG. tmg.chm and vcf2.chm are both present.

Reinstalling will make no difference. You need to do exactly what I suggested that you do.

Thanks Virginia.

Jim,

I deleted the \The Master Genealogist v7 file found at :C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data and when I opened TMG the dialogue box indicated it was rebuilding a file but the F1 button, the Help and Help Contents are still not accessible.

I emptied the trash, shut down, re-booted and repeated the process with the same results. When I say not accessible, I mean when I press the F1 or select help or help contents - nothing happens.

What now?

Sheila

You wrote:

The other thing I discovered is Windows help isn't working either, when I click on the Windows desktop and press F1. (I am still using Windows 2000)

Is this still the case? If so, it suggests that your problem has nothing to do with TMG.

Sheila -

If you doubleclick on the .chm file, does it open the Help file? If not, it sounds like a file association problem. Rightclick on the .chm file and see what program it is set to open with.

Virginia

Sheila -

If you doubleclick on the .chm file, does it open the Help file? If not, it sounds like a file association problem. Rightclick on the .chm file and see what program it is set to open with.

Virginia

Virginia

No the .chm file won't open, I get an error dialogue box "Cannot open the file: mk:@MSITStore:C:\Documents and Settings\All Users|ApplicationData\The Master Geneogist v7\tmg.chm"

When I right click it says it can be opened by "Microsoft® HTML Help Execu"

Sheila

You wrote:

Is this still the case? If so, it suggests that your problem has nothing to do with TMG.

Thanks Jim.

Sheila -

This is a Microsoft problem caused by a program installation or the un-installation of a program that for whatever reason un-registers the hhctrl.ocx file. Google for 'mk:@MSITStore:' for more information. There is a recommended solution in the link below that you can try though I'm not sure whether it applies to both Windows 2000 and WinXP:

http://www.smartcomputing.com/TECHSUPPORT/...p;ErrorID=25904

Good luck; let us know if you get it resolved -

Virginia