cassin

Can't generate any reports with Vista

I am running V7.04 with Vista on a 64 bit machine. I cannot view any reports at all in any mode - can't see print preview, print or to a document or PDF. The report is generated but when I try to see it any of these modes, I get nothing or a Conversion Error message. I have done a repair and I also have done a reinstall with no results. I have read the forums and see that others have had problems but I haven't see that people can't get any three of the modes (print preview, print, or to a document) to work. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is quite limiting. Thanks.

As you have seen in other topics, you can't output word processor reports to Word, RTF, Wordperfect or HTML.

You chould be able to output to screen, text files, Excel or PDF.

For PDF output, you need to install the PDF printer driver.

File / Printer Setup... / [install PDF printer]

In appropriate reports, you select the output 'Save to' option as Acrobat (PDF).

You cannot select the Wholly Genes PDF Writer v3 as the printer from TMG or from any other application or from WinVista.

You need to be more precise about what steps you take that lead to output failure.

Jim, Thanks for your quick reply. These are the steps that I try to see the report on the screen. I set the report parameters, set "print preview", click on create report. I can see the report generating - for example, it says there are 144 events in my "list of events" report. It says the screen will close automatically in 4 seconds - when it does close, nothing appears on the screen. Now I tried your suggestion and went to File and installed the PDF printer and then created a report and said Save to Acrobat (PDF) but I now get this message. Hmm - how do I insert a screen shot in this message that I saved as a jpg?

In TMG / Preferences / Reports / do you have your 'Preferred output types' selected?

On the Report Definition Screen / Properties, do you have a specific printer selected - rather than default? If not, select a printer. TMG requires a printer driver to format a report to screen.

Do you have a printer attached to the computer or is this a laptop?

What is the path where you are saving the report?

After you create the report, do you see the report in your taskbar (icon is white with red letters RR, and name of report)?

(Tip for showing screenshots: download the free Jing software from techsmith.com; follow the instructions to take the screenshot and post it on Screencast. Then insert the link they give you into your message.)

Virginia

OLE IDispatch exception code 65535 from CDINTF~2:DEVMODE is NULL

Check that the printer is installed correctly.. 159

REPORTOBJ.MRRWREPORT

Checked printer and that seems ok

Did you create a dummy port per instructions here?

Note you do not select the PDF printer from TMG or as your default printer. For PDF, simply install the printer and then select the output 'Save to' option as Acrobat (PDF).

Virginia

In TMG / Preferences / Reports / do you have your 'Preferred output types' selected?

On the Report Definition Screen / Properties, do you have a specific printer selected - rather than default? If not, select a printer. TMG requires a printer driver to format a report to screen.

Do you have a printer attached to the computer or is this a laptop?

What is the path where you are saving the report?

After you create the report, do you see the report in your taskbar (icon is white with red letters RR, and name of report)?

(Tip for showing screenshots: download the free Jing software from techsmith.com; follow the instructions to take the screenshot and post it on Screencast. Then insert the link they give you into your message.)

Virginia

Virginia, Thank you for your help - setting up the dummy port worked. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but we were without power due to the recent snow. It may be a coincidence but since I set up the Acrobat reader, anytime I click on the "Add a Person" icon on the Standard Toolbar, the program locks up completely. I have uninstalled and reintstalled the program but it continues. All the other icons work fine as does the drop down menu of add a person. Seems very strange that this would be related to the Acrobat reader..... Thanks to both you and Jim for your help.

When the program locks up with Add Person, go to the 'Window' menu on the toolbar and see if 'Center the current window' is still active (not dimmed). If so click on that. Occasionally a TMG window will open behind your layout and be waiting for your input. If that is the case here, then 'Center the current window' will bring it to the forefront.

Any time the program appears to be locked up (menus dimmed), if possible try for a graceful exit using Help / Check for an Update instead of using the Task Manager. That will shut TMG down normally, closing any open files. You can then cancel the update.

Let us know if the Add Person lockup continues. Note that the Acrobat Reader does not have to be active in the Taskbar in order to use it. I keep it closed.

Virginia

I was not aware of the pdf output feature in TMG7, but found a fairly straightforward way to make pdf output files using the free program PrimoPDF. It installs to look like a printer. Then you can temporarily make it be your default printer and just send your report output to this "printer". For output to a printer, TMG7 converts all footnotes to endnotes. With PrimoPDF, you can then run the Endnotes report, give it the same name as the original output report, and append it to the original. PrimoPDF was easy to install and use. PrimoPDF was mentioned recently in Eastman's Genealogy Newsletter.