tcash19

Need to delete 2772 individuals

Is it possible to mass delete 2772 individuals that have links to one another? I have about 28,000 people in my db and mistakenly added these people some time back. I have them all identified by a flag. I don't want to go through and remove all links prior to doing each of them. How can this be done?

Thanks.

Ted

Back up the current project first.

Add a second data set.

File / Data Set Manager

Filter the Project Explorer to show these individuals.

Window / Project Explorer

(The filter should also have primary names only at the botton to make things clearer.)

Now make sure that the Project Explorer has those individuals you wish to delete.

Make sure that the current Focus Group is empty.

Window / Focus Group

Right-click in the Project Explorer and select 'Add all names to Focus Group'.

You can now clear the Project Explorer filter.

Move all people who have names in the Focus Group to the new data set.

Edit / Move Person(s)

Delete the data set with those 2772 people.

File / Data Set Manager

(You could skip the Focus group part and move those people with names in the filtered Project Explorer but this is a bit cleaner.)

This is harder to describe than to do. You have already done the hard part by having those people marked with a flag.

Is it possible to mass delete 2772 individuals that have links to one another? I have about 28,000 people in my db and mistakenly added these people some time back. I have them all identified by a flag. I don't want to go through and remove all links prior to doing each of them. How can this be done?

Thanks.

Ted

Please reconsider. These extra people in your dataset don't eat, mess on the floor nor need a paycheck. They take up a little memory, but that is really, really cheap these days. You already have them flagged for future reference.

Can you be absolutely sure that you wil never be interested in any these people? Maybe your favorite relative might marry one of them or their descendant one day. Maybe a close friend is related to one and will ask for help with genealogy one day. Entering almost 2800 people was a lot of work. I can think of nothing to be gained by throwing all that work away.

Best wishes, whatever you decide,

Mike,

You have a valid argument. For now I have them penned up in a data set and out of my way. I can always deal with them at a later date.

Thanks.

Ted