lumpynose

filtering for sibs of spouses?

I dabbled a little with TMG 5 several years ago and haven't upgraded or used it since then.

I'm trying to produce some reports for a friend's family history. She wants Family Group Sheets for her parents, all of their descendants, and for each descendants, their spouses, and the parents and siblings for each descendant's spouse.

Is it possible to do this with a filtered report or is there another way I should be doing it? I can't figure out how to do it with a filtered report.

Thanks

It's been a while since I've used v5, but there are messages in the tmg mail list archives which might give you some ideas. Version 5 was released in May of 2002 and Version 6 in Dec of 2004 - so 2003 and 2004 are good years to search the archives for v5 topics. Using a Body search subject of Family Group Sheet, and with 2004 in the Date field, I found a message suggesting using the Focus Group to produce Family Group Sheets for a specific group of descendants. The criteria are slightly different from yours, but you may be able to build on it. That message is here.

The tmg-l archives are here:

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-...search?path=TMG

If this does not help or you have more questions, let us know -

Virginia

You cannot do this simply with a filtered report. The issue is that you can't create a filter that will find the descendants, and then the parents of the spouses of those descendants with a single filter.

You have two choices. You can collect all the subjects in a Focus Group, and use that to control which Family Group Sheets are made, or you can set a temporary Flag. The Focus Group would be easy in a later version of TMG, but with TMG 5 you cannot limit the number of generations when you add the ancestors of the spouses. As a result, it is very difficult to add the parents without adding lots of other people you don't want.

The best way is probably to create a temporary Flag, and use the Secondary Output of the List of People report to set that Flag for those you what to have reports for. Then use the Flag in a filter to control the report. For details seem my article on People Filters - specifically "Temporary Flag Method." Note that the Focus Group method described there won't work for you in TMG 5 as I mentioned above.