jrw

Path advice

Looking for advice. Finally updated my desktop. I run TMG predominantly on my laptop yet i do like to do my email from the desktop. Accordingly i try to keep the files relatively in synch. With all the pathing issues this has become more problematic.

My systems

Laptop - Windows XP professional 4gb ram (yes i know it can only use 3) , 200 gig hard drive, nvidia card, asus MB. Old path used to be (TMG 6) c:\TMG\Projects\Weis with subfolders for photos, exhibits etc

With the advent of TMG 7 i had to switch paths to the documents and settings\TMG\projects\...

I have 20 gigs of external pictures and lots of exhibits. This took forever and frankly without Brian Wetton i might have given up ( thanks pathwiz)

My new desktop

Asus T?7p55D-e pro, 8 gigs DDR3 ram, evga geforce 285 with 1 gig, 3 drives (boot Intel SSD 80 gigs, secondary WD velociraptor 200 gigs or so, and back up internal green WD 1 tb. My intention is to install all the slow loading programs such as windows, photoshop cs5, office and TMG on the SSD drive (this is basically instant on, like 5 sec CS 4 load) but as it is only 80 gigs, i would prefer to store my data off it and on the velociraptor with backup to the 1 tb. I would like to continue to work from my laptop and back up to the desktop by copying this to an external eSata drive (faster copy than USB which is like slow torture). I would love to recopy it back and have it work, and I would truly truly hate to change the path every time. I seriously debated going to the genealogic society meeting in SLC tomorrow just to find Bobs talk and ask him, but i decided that was an unfair ambush. What suggestions so you have? Best i can think if is change the path on BOTH machines to make TMG in the root with its data so the path doesnt change with each iteration of windows, although it feels a lot like back to the future as that was my old path...

John

John,

I store my project on multiple PCs and I keep the path to the project exactly the same on both. I also keep the path to exhibits exactly the same though they are managed ouside of TMG, i.e., I don't backup exhibits with the project.

I change the project storage default that TMG recommends and set the "Projects" folder to "d:\TMG Projects". (All my PCs have a "d:" drive.) If you want to put other TMG folders in a common place, you might define "drive:\TMG" and then "drive:\TMG\Projects", etc.

Been considering this. I would need to reformat my laptop and partion the drive. I did indeed put stuff on my D drive in my desktop

john weis