Sign in to follow this  
ccchaney

TMG v7 in Parallels

I am having problems with TMG v7 under Parallels. The most apparent is when I attempt to add information, either by a new tag entry or when adding info to an existing tag.

The path is C:\Documents and Settings\Charles Chaney\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7\Projects\

Adding a new "residence" tag. When attempting to save got this:

Index file "c:\…\my documents\the master genealogist v7\projects\maternal_n.cdx" tag "Sort 5" is corrupted. Please rebuild it. 11453 FILLSS1_TO_N

Clicked "ignore" and it was saved.

Added a new wife tag. When attempting to save got this:

Index file "c:\…\my documents\the master genealogist v7\projects\maternal_n.cdx" tag "Sort 5" is corrupted. Please rebuild it. 298 FRMADDPERSON.MSAVE

Clicked "ignore" and got this:

"There is not enough memory to complete this operation. 114 TMGAPPOBJ.MINSERTTMGNAME"

Clicked "ignore" it was saved. (There actually is enough memory.)

At least once, TMG simply shut down when I hit "save".

Ahnentafel reports are not being properly produced. Only a generation or two is being generated when there are several more. This happens when attempting to save to a file or to screen. Although there are times when the screen report is fine.

If your Parallels is setup with the default configuration the Windows My Documents folder is redirected to the Mac Documents folder, and it is necessary to use a data_paths.txt file in TMG. See the TMG help topic Customizing Data File Storage. It looks like you are running Win XP in the virtual machine. A two line data_paths.txt file is sufficient.

[username]

UserData=C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\The Master Genealogist v7

where username is the user name for the WINDOWS account you use.

:question: Are you using a data_paths.txt file?

There are several threads on this topic; search the forum for Parallels.

For the index issues: Have you done the TMG maintenance routines? Reindex in particular.

Reports sent to word processing should be saved to the WINDOWS file tree, and you should set Preferences > Options > Program Options > Reports > Prompt to open file output: to Never ask; do not open the file.

Also take a look at the Surety Threshold settings on the Report Options > General tab - Threshold 0 or No Threshold and Include blank surety.