Sign in to follow this  
pjcopp1

Trouble with Relationship Tag in Reports

An odd problem suddenly occurred for one individual in my data set --person "A" has a primary bio mother and a primary father, but this relationship is not appearing on all reports (even though it is being calculated properly when I click on "relationship calulator". The relationships are not properly shown in the automatic relationship calculator (on screen).

For example, this person A is my g-grandfather, but the automatic rel calc shows "no blood" relation to me in the display, even tho A's sisters and brothers appear properly as my G-aunts and G-uncles, and A's parents appear properly as my GG-Grandparents, and his children appear properly as my grandfather, etc. If I run the relationship calculator (by clicking on it and asking to calc the relationship) it properly states this is my g-grandfather, but it is not displayed this way (inconsistent).

When I run a "relationship" report for A, I see his whole chain of relatives correctly, but only his father is in the chain (not his mother). IF I start with the mother and do a relationship report, I get the right stuff except the father is missing.

Also A is NOT appearing in the report when I create a Descendant Indented Chart report for his direct ancestors (starting with either his father , his grandfather or great grandfather). Strangely the missing person A, does appear (correctly) when I create a Descendant Box Chart from one of his direct ancestors such as father , suggesting this is a problem is in just one direction.

Also, when I use A to create an Ancestor Box Chart, his ancestors (father, grandfather and great grandfather) are correctly linked to him in the report.

Finally, the A is not appearing as a son in the individual narrative report for his father, or in the Descendant Indented Chart for his mother, and A's individual detail report parents names are blank

Finally, A's parents are missing when I create an individual detail report for A. Oddly, all these reports worked the last time I ran them a few months ago, so some error got in since then.

This is really weird and I have tried re entering the ID numbers for the father/son connection, but this has no effect on the problem with the missing link. I have verified that the father-son and mother-son bio relationships are primary (and there are no other fathers for this person). Do I need to delete and re-enter all the data for this chain of relationships?

I am using version 7.04 on Vista.

When strange results occur it is always a good idea to run "Optimize" and "Validate File Integrity" from the File, Maintenance screen. This may not solve your problem but you need to do it first to make sure.