Sign in to follow this  
Robert Jacobs

Journal sort order

I am making a descendancy journal from a focus group which comprises my four great grandfathers. I would like to the reports to appear in the order paternal-paternal, paternal-maternal, maternal-paternal and maternal-maternal. None of the focus group sort orders produced this, so I renumbered the members of the group in the desired order, sorted the focus group by ID number and ran the report. The report does not honor the focus group order -- it gives me the four descendancy journals in surname alphabetical order.

If I run the reports individually I lose the back-references (i.e., "See #xxx") and numeric consistency.

How can get the reports in the order I need?

And why do these problems always come up at the last possible minute?

Thanks for any advice and good wishes to all.

Robert

When you create multiple Journals (or other genealogy reports) the order of the individual reports is controlled by the Sort tab on Report Options. Go to that tab and see if any of the available options yield the desired order. If they do not, use the Reference field, and enter numbers in that field for each of the four individuals so they sort as you want.

When you create multiple Journals (or other genealogy reports) the order of the individual reports is controlled by the Sort tab on Report Options. Go to that tab and see if any of the available options yield the desired order. If they do not, use the Reference field, and enter numbers in that field for each of the four individuals so they sort as you want.

Thanks so much, Terry. I've bypassed that tab without doing more than thinking that I don't need to attend to it -- and so of course when I do need it I'd forgotten all about it.

All good wishes & thanks again.

Robert