Sign in to follow this  
Daryl Edmonds

New installation

I have had my computer completely rebuilt and now have a 1TB hard drive. I intend to partition this into C Drive and D Drive. The query I'm making refers to the discussion that was had on the thread titled "Moving data to "D" Drive" back in June. I regularly transfer the data between my three computers and the other two have a "user_data" folder that the TMG backups go into (as did this one before the rebuild) but the program was on C Drive.

Now I have to do a new installation would it be easier for me to instal the whole program on D or is there a valid reason why the program itself should go on C and I move the backups, etc., onto D?

After years of putting all programs on their own drive, I've now concluded that it's best to put them in their default locations. Not only does this make installation and maintenance of the programs simpler, but it offers a bit of added security now that MicroSoft has added some protection to the identified program folders.

However, I think all data should be on a separate drive, such as your D:\ partition. If you only have one project it's easy to simply put your TMG Project there and change the paths in the Preferences > Project Options > Advanced section. It gets a bit more complex if you have more than one Project, so I think in that case it's better to read the Help topics on Data File Storage, including the advanced ones, and create a Data_paths.txt text files as described there to redirect all the data storage to that data drive.

That said, if you plan to copy your data back and forth between several computers, it is much easier to do that, especially if you have external exhibits, if the paths to your data are identical on each computer. If you have the same version of Windows on each computer, you can do that using the default data locations, provided that your user name on each machine is identical. If you have different versions of Windows on the various computers, that is very difficult to do unless you set up a separate drive for your data on each one.

After years of putting all programs on their own drive, I've now concluded that it's best to put them in their default locations. Not only does this make installation and maintenance of the programs simpler, but it offers a bit of added security now that MicroSoft has added some protection to the identified program folders.

However, I think all data should be on a separate drive, such as your D:\ partition. If you only have one project it's easy to simply put your TMG Project there and change the paths in the Preferences > Project Options > Advanced section. It gets a bit more complex if you have more than one Project, so I think in that case it's better to read the Help topics on Data File Storage, including the advanced ones, and create a Data_paths.txt text files as described there to redirect all the data storage to that data drive.

That said, if you plan to copy your data back and forth between several computers, it is much easier to do that, especially if you have external exhibits, if the paths to your data are identical on each computer. If you have the same version of Windows on each computer, you can do that using the default data locations, provided that your user name on each machine is identical. If you have different versions of Windows on the various computers, that is very difficult to do unless you set up a separate drive for your data on each one.

Thanks Terry,

I'll stick with the defaults and set up a folder on D:\, that's how my previous setup worked, anyway; I just wanted confirmation that it was the way to go. :D