TMGKev

Embedding sources in reports

I would like to be able to embed references to sources in Individual Detail reports.

I already embed the source title in my reports, but, in my opinion, this makes the reports look cluttered, with often much repetition of long source titles (even when abbreviated).

I am aware that I can embed end-notes (as unique reference numbers for each source), but this then requires me to print a separate end-note report for every individual, which wastes paper and folder space.

What I want to be able to do is embed the actual source number (as listed in the Master Source List), so that I can simply look up the reference in a single Master Source List report print-out.

Is this possible?

Many thanks for any help.

There is no reasonable way to embed the source numbers in a report. If you send the report to a word processor the source notes will appear in the report, either as footnotes or endnotes, as you specify, rather than in a separate endnotes report.

But be aware that you cannot output to word processor if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows. Workarounds include producing the report on a 32-bit computer if you have one, and output to HTML.

It is possible by including that information in the tag memo, something I have done for years. I add the source number(s) at the end of the tag Memo, enclosed in brackets and preceded with an exclusion marker to control when it prints, using the option in reports: Exclusion: Show excluded date. My source format looks like this: -[27].

With anything a bit non-standard in TMG, you want to think ahead of the implications of when you might be using the exclusion marker in other cases, whether you will always want to see that source number or if you would have occasion at some time to renumber your sources.

Virginia

There is no reasonable way to embed the source numbers in a report. If you send the report to a word processor the source notes will appear in the report, either as footnotes or endnotes, as you specify, rather than in a separate endnotes report.

But be aware that you cannot output to word processor if you are using a 64-bit version of Windows. Workarounds include producing the report on a 32-bit computer if you have one, and output to HTML.

Thanks Terry. Unfortunately I use a 64-bit Win7 machine and cannot export to a WP as yet. I believe this is going to be fixed in the next release (hopefully a free upgrade to v 7.04 since I have only just bought this!), so using embedded unique footnotes may provide a work around.

Kevin

It is possible by including that information in the tag memo, something I have done for years. I add the source number(s) at the end of the tag Memo, enclosed in brackets and preceded with an exclusion marker to control when it prints, using the option in reports: Exclusion: Show excluded date. My source format looks like this: -[27].

With anything a bit non-standard in TMG, you want to think ahead of the implications of when you might be using the exclusion marker in other cases, whether you will always want to see that source number or if you would have occasion at some time to renumber your sources.

Virginia

Thanks Virginia. Your suggestion is a neat work around, which I hadn't considered. However, sadly, the size of my project would make this a very onerous task to change the memo's for all my tag's, but I thank you for your suggestion.

Based on a similar idea from another forum, I've played with modifying the source title/abbrev title and also the Output forms of footnotes. This has given me a few more possible options, but has raised another question -

Is there a Source Element for the Abbreviated Title of a source? I could then include this in the Output form, instead of the full [TITLE]. I can't find one in the list of source elements, but is it possible to create one? I've tried adding a custom source element, but I can't see the point of this since any new element has to based on an existing (similar) source element and doesn't seem to allow you to modify the actual data it references (so I'm uncertain as to the point of these).

Thanks

Kevin

Edited by TMGKev