mdtaffet

Still unable to import FTM 16 to TMG 7.04 on Windows & 64-bit machine

I thought I had written to the support forum last year after I bought a new computer with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit installed on it and then had trouble importing from FTM 16 (my primary database) to TMG 7.04, but I can't seem to find that message. Anyways, I did receive several DLL files that were supposed to solve the problem, but they didn't. I still experience errors every time I try to import from FTM 16, meaning that the only file I can currently use with TMG is the sample project. In other words, TMG is currently useless to me on this machine.

I've heard that there is a TMG 8 in the works, and am wondering what the chances are that the newer version will solve this problem for me. If it won't solve the problem, then there's no point in my buying the next version when it comes out.

When I try to import my file, it gets as far as 18% in "Importing People and names....", then produces an error message "Declare DLL call caused an exception 25 GBIMPSOURCE". When I click on "Abort", it shows the Sample Project. When I then try to close the problem, it produces another error message "Function argument value, type, or count is invalid 36 APPOBJECT.MSAVEINI". I then click on "Abort" again, and the next time I try to close the program, I get a 3rd error message "Cannot Quit Visual FoxPro". At that point, the only way to close the program is to use the Task Manager and close it that way. Alternatively, I can tell it to backup the sample project (which makes no sense....), then it will produce a similar error message to the 2nd one seen, and if I click on Ignore, it will appear to back up the project and then the program closes on its own.

The bottom line is that, until this import error is fixed, TMG 7 is completely useless to me. Unless this situation improves in TMG 8, I see no point in buying it when it comes out.

Mary,

I found our earlier correspondence and am reviewing it. I have to retest your database.

btw... You made the comment...

"It does me no good to use a file converted by somebody else, since my primary program is still FTM. What I do with TMG is to periodically do a fresh import of my file from FTM. If that import doesn't work on a regular basis, then TMG is essentially useless."

Importing to TMG on that basis is not a productive undertaking. Importing a FTM database to TMG and cleaning it up is an undertaking that will require many months. Doing periodic imports will serve no purpose since you will never be able to clean up your data and really make use of TMG.

I see that I was able to import your file earlier but got the error on my first test today. I'll add more in a while.

Jim

Jim,

I have no intention of switching to TMG as a primary program, so spending a long time cleaning up data is something I intend to never do at this point -- or if I do, that clean-up will be done within FTM itself. The other programs (including the most current version of FTM) are all used as supplements only.

By the way, this message board system won't allow me to place a cursor at an earlier part of the message I'm composing and edit it; instead I have to backspace and erase all content since the point I want to edit, and then start over again; that makes this message board system very hard to use -- especially when I can't even see where the active cursor is at any point in time. The little arrow which usually acts as visual evidence of my cursor never moves while editing these messages.

-- Mary

By the way, this message board system won't allow me to place a cursor at an earlier part of the message I'm composing and edit it; instead I have to backspace and erase all content since the point I want to edit, and then start over again; that makes this message board system very hard to use -- especially when I can't even see where the active cursor is at any point in time. The little arrow which usually acts as visual evidence of my cursor never moves while editing these messages.

Mary -

That may be a problem if you are using the forum's Rich Text Editor. To change to the Standard Editor:

In the forum, go to the top of the screen: My Controls > Control Panel > Menu > Options > Board Settings > Posting Settings (way down at the bottom of the screen) and select Standard Editor instead of Rich Text Editor. Click 'Change my Account Options' to save the changes.

Virginia

Virginia,

Thank you very much! Changing those settings allows me to actually see the real cursor and move it to edit prior text without backspacing over intervening text.

-- Thanks again,

Mary

I'm receiving the same error message as member mdtaffet. I'm using windows 7 64-bit and had trouble importing from FTM 2010 to TMG 7.04.

"When I try to import my file, it gets as far as 18% in "Importing People and names....", then produces an error message "Declare DLL call caused an exception 20 GBIMPSOURCE". When I click on "Abort", it shows the Sample Project. When I then try to close the problem, it produces another error message "Function argument value, type, or count is invalid 36 APPOBJECT.MSAVEINI". I then click on "Abort" again, and the next time I try to close the program, I get a 3rd error message "Cannot Quit Visual FoxPro". At that point, the only way to close the program is to use the Task Manager and close it that way."

I also seen somewhere it was said to export ftm to ged. However, I can't export to ged since everytime I try, I get error message in ftm. My ftm file is over 300 meg with over 220,000 people.

I want to start using tmg but I can't if I can't convert from ftm.

Glenn

TMG v7.04 does not support import from FTM 2010. You need to export to the FTM 2008/2009 format and use that database for import to TMG. Be sure to name the exported database differently than your FTM 2010 database.

In addition, you need updated import components. If you contact me by email (by clicking on the link below), I'll send you those files.

Jim Byram

You might not be able to import a database of that size to TMG. The Declare DLL error usually occurs when memory limits are encountered during import. You want to make sure that you try the import from the Welcome screen and not from File / Import. If the Welcome screen is not enabled, it can be enabled on the Startup and Exit tab in Preferences.

Jim,

email sent

Glenn

TMG v7.04 does not support import from FTM 2010. You need to export to the FTM 2008/2009 format and use that database for import to TMG. Be sure to name the exported database differently than your FTM 2010 database.

In addition, you need updated import components. If you contact me by email (by clicking on the link below), I'll send you those files.

Jim Byram

You might not be able to import a database of that size to TMG. The Declare DLL error usually occurs when memory limits are encountered during import. You want to make sure that you try the import from the Welcome screen and not from File / Import. If the Welcome screen is not enabled, it can be enabled on the Startup and Exit tab in Preferences.