aramac

Can I import my tree

Since Family Historian uses a GEDCOM 5.5 file as the database, the GEDCOM can be imported. How complete the import is will only be determined by doing it.

You will want to use the Advanced Import Wizard so that you can create custom TMG tag types for unknown, custom and Event-Misc GEDCOM tags (on Step 7). You might also want to select the 'Assume marriage of parents' option (on Step 5).

On Step 7...

For unknown and custom GEDCOM tags, you want to select the tag in the left column and click [Properties]. Edit the tag type name if necessary. Change the tag type group if necessary (the default Other Event Group will almost always be correct). And then click [OK].

For Event-Misc tags, select the GEDCOM tag in the left column and click [unassign]. Then click [Properties] and procede as above.

Some custom features of the FH GEDCOM file won't import and you will need to enter that data manually in TMG. See the import .LST file (in the project folder) that covers import issues.

At present am using Family Historian version 4 intend purchasing TMG, can I import from FH into TMG sucessfully? :mellow:

You can download the free 30-day trial version from the Wholly Genes web site and try the import using Jim's recommendations. The trial version is the full program, so you will only have to enter your registration number if you decide to purchase it.

Virginia

Many thanks to both Jim and Virginia for the recommendations on the transfer from Family Historian to TMG, will do as instructed and hope for the best. :)