Sign in to follow this  
Linda (Babbin) Jones

Duplicate People in List of People Report

I'm having an annoying problem and I'd love to know if there's any way to prevent it. I'm creating various reports of people who live in different counties, since I have 2,000 people with the same surname, and it's gotten very difficult to find the person I want just using the picklist (one of the wonderful things about a List of People is that I can display the spouses, which also makes it easier to pick out the person I want).

So I create a filtered group and specify the surname and the place name, and then at the bottom of that screen I select the boxes for include spouses, include ancestors (1 generation), and include descendants (250 generations). A lot of the people in the resulting list are duplicated and some are even triplicated (I think I just made up a word). I suspect it's because some people are the parents of more than one child--but after all, that's to be expected. So why doesn't the report program recognize that these are duplicate entries and only show them once? My reports are coming out a lot longer than they need to be, editing by hand would be a huge nuisance, and I don't want to print them like this.

Anyone know something I'm not doing that I can do?

Thanks,

Linda