patthepiper

Merge Duplicate Tags?

I have custom tags for the various UK census, i.e. Census 1841, Census 1851 etc.

About half of my Census 1911 data appeared with a spurious tag Census 186111. (Due to some boneheaded action of mine)

I did a LOP for the bogus census, and using this started manually changing the tag to Census 1911. After a long, boring day decided there must be a better way.

Using edit I renamed Census 186111 to Census 1911.So now I have two 1911 tags, one 465 records, the other 424.

Pause for thought; at the bottom of the pit, stop digging.

Is there a way to merge the two tags?

I had thought of splitting one lot into a temporary database, deleting the 'empty' Tag in the main database, then combining the two databases. Would this work?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yes, there is a better way. Not within TMG, but by using John Cardinal's TMG Utility. Use the Events > Change Event Type function.

The Utility is available on John's Site - it is "donorware" - John asks that you make a donation to his favorite charity if you find the program helpful.

Terry,

Once again you came to the rescue - many, many thanks!

Pat

P.S. Started 08:46, completed about 09:36 including pause for thought and time to make and drink a cup of coffee. What a times-saver! Many thanks John & Terry.

Edited by patthepiper